Thread: Need some opinions

Need some opinions

I've come to a point where I am going to sell my larger shop tools and wondered if I'd be better trying to sell them separately or as a full shop? Problem is once I sell one of them, I'm out of luck anyway. Just want to get some opinions.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 06-18-2014 at 8:59 PM.
    Steven

One at a time

I think you will do better selling individually. Someone buying a whole shop will be looking for a real bargain.

JMHO

George

One at a time. There have been a few whole shop listings I've seen in the past and the seller was not willing to part out an item I wanted.

yeah... you'll start selling them quicker and get more money sold individually... I'd just list it both ways and see what happened... but I wouldn't hold out on selling a single piece in favor of waiting to find "the right guy" to buy all of it...

I'd say individually would get you the best results, but prepare to offer package deals as well.

The market for a package deal is a lot smaller. A single sale is less work, but likely a lot less money too. I'd list both, but would expect they'll sell better individually if priced right, and listed with good descriptions, cleaned up, with good pics. (Ever see a CL ad listed only as "table saw, works good. $100"?)
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Like the others have said individually you get more dollars per machine, but you could be done with it sooner selling all at once.

Disconnecting machines one at a time and meeting all the individuals regarding each machine (packing, straping, disassembling, fork lifting and all that) can be very time consuming. Just the part of finding a buyer for a table saw... you might have a lot of tire kickers.

And if your renting a shop (or looking to do something else with the space, or paying a mortgage on it), it'll cost you just having the stuff there.

Guess it depends if you want out now or don't mind holding out for more.

When I sold my bigger machines off I did it in one sale. Sure I could have gotten more if I sold one at a time, but for me the hassle wasn't worth the extra bucks. But, for me moving the machines and having the free time (career change) was a huge pain in the rear. Better to just be done with it. And I was kinda afraid of selling off most a being stuck with one or two
    Last edited by Judson Green; 06-19-2014 at 10:12 AM.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=scott spencer;2279539]The market for a package deal is a lot smaller. A single sale is less work, but likely a lot less money too. I agree with Scott.

I agree with Scott. I can't imagine there would be very many guys looking to start a woodworking hobby and would want to buy an entire shop all at once or would have the cash to do that.

Another option is an on-line auction. I've bought some some equipment from them lately. I've seen prices go a lot higher than I was willing to pay, but some were priced right, as well.

The commission to the auctioneer could be steep, but maybe not. The buyer pays a 10%~15% fee.

..And advantages are several : All the equipment gets picked up within two days. You don't have to wait for the right buyer to come around. The pricing for individual pieces would be higher than if the shop is sold in toto, although that advantage could be balanced by the auctioneer commission.

It could be worth checking into, anyway.