Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screw holding wood putty - or something the likes

Screw holding wood putty - or something the likes

Not quite sure where to put this.....but here goes....
    I own two houses, and one is a fairly old construction, with lots of non standard sizes for doors and windows.
    I have a problem with some of the interior doors, where the handles are fastened by small discs, about 2.5" i diameter, on each side of the door.
    The lever bolt is free in the handles and goes through the door. However, the wood around the bolt holes is rather soft and porous, and somewhat "abused" over time, so there is too little bite for the screws to hold the discs. The wood thickness left on each side is sllightly less than 0.5".
    I'd rather not change the doors, as they are out of size compared to modern modulus techniques.
    I was thinking about thinned epoxy, or an epoxy based putty of some kind....... anyone in for ideas or thoughts on this????
    BTW - fitting a hardwood disc may not work, as I have no guidance for making a fitting recess...
    TIA...

EDIT: I'm in Europe, so US hardware store stuff from the US is probably NOT available here in my corner...DIY is is......
    Last edited by Halgeir Wold; 07-23-2014 at 4:21 AM.

Halgeir ... if I am reading you note right ... the small screws are loose in the wood.
    If that is the situation ... I use a wooden tooth-pick as a filler.
    Snip-off about 3mm of the sharp point ... apply some glue to about 8mm of the 'body'.
    Insert in the hole and break-off the toothpick flush to the door.
    After about 20 minutes dry time: replace the screw.

If the wood is generally soft and porous as you describe, I think your idea of epoxy is good. I would take the doors off so you can lay them down flat. Then mix up some thin, slow-setting epoxy and work it into the wood. If the holes are large enough, stir in some wood flour (sanding dust, not saw dust) to make a putty. Use that to fill the remaining holes. Once cured, you can sand it flat if needed and, of course drill it for holes for the screws. If you haven't got sanding dust, you can raid the kitchen for some white flour. It works nicely as a filler.

Ha det bra.

Thanks - I've used that toothpick or splinter trick, too :-) problem is that this trick has apparently been used several times, also before I became the owner of the problem....
    I was looking towards something that might reinforce the rather porous old wood around the lock boxes. That's why I thought of something like dernching with thinned epoxy and some epoxy or similar filler or spackle, but that would also give some bite for the rather tiny screws.....

Dave - takk skal du ha! Det var det jeg trodde...

I used up most of my Norsk already. Except for lutefisk, lefse and some other Norwegian delicacies. I miss Norway, though. We might make a trip again next summer.

Norwegian delicacies..... Ahem.....yes, - but some of them are better not disclosed to the rest of the world..
    ( like Smalahove - grilled sheeps head..... )

Ooh! I'll have to try it. I was thinking gammelost.

Blog Entries
    Minwax makes a wood hardener and a 2 part wood putty that works well for filling large holes and repairing this tye of damage in wood. I recently used it to repair a wood door for my daughter needing repair work similar to what you described.Minwax-41700-rw-202095-310405.jpgminwax-high-performance-wood-filler.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I expect that would be difficult to get in Norway, though.

Halgeir: Shipping to Norway may kill this idea, but you may be able to find something similar closer to home. I've used this with great success.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,190,42997
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

What would the shelf life on that be? Interesting stuff.

Dang it guys, now I want lefse. Going home in a few weeks and looking forward to lefse and krumkake from my bestemor!

Huh.... ?? Even more Norgies around here...? BTW - maybe this forum should have a food branch.....

Thanks guys..... I think I'll try the epoxy idea. Unfortunately, Minwax products are not available over here..... pity, as I could have several uses for the wood hardener on that house, and elsewhere too.... I don't know for sure, but I think I might get in customs trouble trying to import it myself. We used to have products like that available locally, but environmental regulations have killed that and a lot of other usefull products. Can't get decent laquers either, and a lot of the special paints are gone, too..... I can understand some of the environmental concerns, to a degree, but healthwise, proper protection products have been available for years. Seems more proper to save the dummies from themselves, these days.....

BTW - anyone have any ideas of the composition of the wood hardener?

There's actually a whole article on this subject in the most recent issue of FWW: http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-t...ith-epoxy.aspx

Could sign up for the free trial to get the article and then cancel.