Thread: Delta Shaper Problem

Delta Shaper Problem

I have a new Delta 43-431X 3hp shaper that as I was setting up, I noticed that the spindle is not exactly perpendicular to the table. As per the instructions that came with my new Freeborn cutters, I bolted a 12" straight edge centered in the spindle and lowered the spindle until the straight edge contacted the table. The opposite end of the straight edge was .035" off the table. Freeborn recommends shimming the table/spindle assembly to ensure that the spindle is perfectly perpendicular. The problem is that no where in Delta's instructions/literature does it even mention how to correct for this. To make matters worse, the motor/spindle is mounted directly to the table making the shimming of the top very difficult. I am hesitant in loosing the spindle mounting bolts in fear that I will not be able to get the spindle even back to where it is now.

It bothers me that a new shaper is this far out of perpendicular and would like to know if any other Delta shaper owners have run into this and how you corrected it. Thanks.

shaper

Steve,
    Hey neighbor how's it going?

I would first see if you could loosen the motor from the table and install some spacers/washers where the bolts are attached to the underside of the table and then tighten it down again.

I am not familiar with that shaper but is it a tilting spindle type?

hey paul... I don't think delta makes one, but good idea.
    I have a delta 3 hp shaper as well, but I have not tried that method of checking for perpendicularity. I wonder what I would find. Which way is it out? front to back, side to side or some other orientation?

Have you tried removing the straight edge and reinstalling it in another location to see if there is someting wrong with the way you are fixturing it? I might be more inclined to try to fixture a dial indicator on the spindle shaft and then spin it around on the table to double check the results with the straight edge.

lou
    Last edited by lou sansone; 07-01-2005 at 8:54 PM.

Hi Steve... First double-check your measurements as Lou suggests. I would also check runout, to make sure what you have measured is not actually a mis-seated or 'bent' spindle instead of an out-of-perpendicular assembly (make any sense?). But, I would not be surprised to hear that you are indeed finding the spindle out of perpendicular on a new machine. Kinda sad, but that seems to be the state of affairs. As to correcting the problem, Paul's on the right track. Get shim stock and notch it for the table bolt. This will allow you to slide the shim in around the bolt without removing it completely. Loosen the bolts and slide shims in the appropriate place(s). Lather, rinse, repeat 'til you're happy. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. I spoke to Delta's costumer service today and they suggested as Paul and Bill have that I shim between the table top and the spindle/motor mount. I will try to loosen the bolts only and slip in the shim stock figuring as long as I don't remove the bolts entirely I can't realy do too much damage. Delta recommends checking for square with a combination square along the spindle to the table. This does not seem to me to be as accurate as the way Freeborn suggests (with a straightedge mounted in the spindle).

I'll give it a try...

Hey Paul, next time I drive by and see your shop light on I'll have to stop in to check out what you are working on and to admire your well equiped shop!

buy plenty of varying shim stock or a bunch of feeler gauges and use them instead. Spin the spindle first, though and make sure the .035 is consistant once you have spun it 180. If you have a dial indicator with a magnetic base, then mount the base to the spindle and it will give you a more accurate indication of what is happening. remember your changes will be dynamic. once you add a shim to one point, it could mean you will have to now adjust another one and then another and on. alot of shaper have three mounting points not four, so sometimes that make adjustments tricky. be prepared for some cursing.