Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking at shaper cutters

looking at shaper cutters

I am wondering if anyone knows if freeborn is still in business? Where can one buy their product if they are. Also does anyone have experience with grizzly cutters? Wondering about quality etc. Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike yes freeborn is still in business there's a lot of places you can get their cutter I get them at Ballew Tool Springfield Missouri l look at the grizzly ones over at their store in Springfield they might be okay for occasional use but I don't think that they would be very good for the long haul
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Woodline also sales shaper cutters that are decent.

I've used Grizzly cutters and they did a fine job.
    Used fairly hard but not for extended periods. They may not be the sort of thing for a production shop.

Freeborn can give you local dealer names. I get mine from my local sharpener. They give a discount and drop them off to my shop. I have a few of the Grizzly cutters kicking around. Two are the 5-wing design that does cut smoothly and cleanly. But this year I tried to buy a different 5-wing from them and every tip had tiny chips in the carbide edge. I returned it without using it and tried to exchange it for a clean one. But every one that we opened and inspected had rough edges, so I ended up just getting a steel set ground for a corrugated head.
    JR

W.Moore profiles has freeborn and great pricing!

Thanks for the info everyone. What other brands are worth looking at? My use will be more production or long term, I would like to buy once and then use.

Also I should add that I am a Canadian living in Alberta. I do have access to the U.S. through mail order and am only one hour from the border. Thanks again.

Mike if you're using the cutters for production I would stay with Freeborne or something of that caliber Woodline Grizzly and Those of that caliber are not going to last. also an outfit in Connecticut ,Connecticut saw and tool I may have the name wrong Peter Quinn might know the right name.good luck
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

I know that this is about shaper cutters, but I just purchased some rub collars, and I am very happy with Amana -- some of the others were too tight to slip on and off the spindle -- but the Amana ones were perfect. This also holds for the reducing sleeves that come with them -- the Amana ones fit like silk, but the other ones do not slide in and when stuck 1/2 in and 1/2 out, it take a mallet to get them out ...

Since you are in the market for cutters, rub collars can't be far behind ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You might also want to talk to Greg at Rangate about insert tooling. Great for production. Dave

I use Connecticut saw and tool, they are a freeborne dealer and my local distributor. If check with freeborne to see who distributes in CA, they also make insert tooling. If you go with 3 wing you need to establish a relationship with a good grinding outfit, insert tooling is great as you keep consistent diameter and quick knife changes put you back to sharp, more economical long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    insert tooling is great as you keep consistent diameter and quick knife changes put you back to sharp, more economical long term.
    Especially if you have dedicated setups or a smart shaper where you are actively avoiding the need to run test parts every time you change cutters. They are sharper, too.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    You might also want to talk to Greg at Rangate about insert tooling. Great for production. Dave
    Sorry ,I failed to mention Greg myself. The OP was asking about Freeborn, and Grizzly, so it didn't cross my mind.
    Just to be clear here, we are talking about 3 different qualities, AND cost structures!
    What Greg sells thru Rangate is very top quality stuff to be sure, a step below would be Freeborn, and Grizzly would be bottom rung.
    You get what you pay for with these to be sure!! Usually someone with no , or little knowledge is just wading in the waters when asking about the brands mentioned- we don't want to drown him now, do we?
    I admit, that I just learned about Greg and his offerings last year, and do not own any of it.... Yet!
    After seeing firsthand the quality of the tooling he offers, I hope to soon be adding some value to my tooling arsenal!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Also I should add that I am a Canadian living in Alberta. I do have access to the U.S. through mail order and am only one hour from the border. Thanks again.
    FS Tools or Royce Carbide, both are Canadian manufacturers.

I use FS Tools because they're just up the road from me...................Rod.