Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: buyer's remorse:Jet 1642

buyer's remorse:Jet 1642

I'm trying to decide on a bigger lathe, coming from a mini. Just getting started, enjoy the heck out of turning, and the mini works well, but several weeks ago I turned on a large premium lathe, and ...Wow.
    WoodCraft is having a sale this week on both Jet and PM.

I can, after discounts and rebate, get a 1642 (1 1/2hp) for $1430.
    I can get the PM 3520 for $2520.

I know all the differences on paper: Different swings, more weight, different banjos, more power, stability, voltages, etc.

But man, that $1100 difference is big.

So, here is my question. How many of you out there spinning in the Vortex have bought the 1642, and been sorry you didn't spend the rest of your savings on the Powermatic?

Have any of you actually bought the Jet 1642, only to actually trade up to the PM?

I realize the PM is more lathe, but I've got so many places to use the $1100, on the other hand, I don't want to get the Jet and after using it for a while, rue the day I tried to foolishly save some money, and have to buy the PM anyway, assuming I can.

What do I like to turn? Its all great, but I lean toward bowls.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mike

Buy the PM. You will not regret it. My jet 1442 was less than 6 months old and I wanted to upgrade. The PM won't be my last lathe, but I don't see myself upgrading for a long time.

Tough call, Mike. I had the Jet 1442 for about a year before upgrading to a Oneway. My upgrade was the result of a lemon machine rather than really needing more lathe at that time.

I'm a big believer in trying to make my hobbies pay for themselves. If pulling the trigger on the PM is too painful financially, I recommend getting the Jet and selling your turning projects until you have enough for the next upgrade.
    Last edited by Jeff Moffett; 04-08-2007 at 9:37 AM.

Mike, I started with the 1442VSK and a year later ordered the Robust 25X28+. I was very fortunate to be in a position to do that and I know not very many are able. The reason I mention it, is that if you really see yourself doing this and have the opportunity and ability the better lathe will pay off for you in the long run. That being said, if you spend all your money on a bigger lathe and can't equip it right with the correct accessories and tools your frustration will be just as great as it is now if not greater.Whether you do or whether you don't...Welcome to the Vortex!
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Mike, only you can answer your question. It really depends upon where you are headed. Over the past 15 years, I have "up-graded" about 5 or 6 times; each time spending more and more and selling off my previous machines for big losses.

Thanks for all the input, everyone.
    I notice in this thread, and in threads in the past, that many move from the Jet 1442 to bigger and better lathes.
    The 1642, however, is so much closer to the PM than is the 1442, yet, there is an $1100 differential.

Jeff has the right idea , I got my 1236 as an upgraded from a 99$ lathe ala Harbor Freight to do spindles for a customer, well one thing lead to another and .... LOML and I decided to upgrade again but first my shop has to make the money to buy and I will be getting a bigger lathe ,someday. my shop has been profitable in the past which is how i got where i am ( by Gods grace) today. next step is enlarge the shop and start apprenticing my nephew this summer as I have a lot to do and work else where full time. I am hoping next year at this time I can spring for the Oneway so the mods to my 1236 will allow me to get use to spining bigger stuff = more sales= quicker up grade= ONEWAY= happy LOML and nephew ( who will get the 1236 in factory form ) nothing wrong with upgrade , its like being able to chew what ya bit off. Good luck with what ever you decide.
    John 3:16

Do you have a vision of what you will be turning in a year? Five years? If you see yourself still highly interested in turning, I would try to buy the PM. Is there something you can sell and not miss too much to help finance the difference? (There's no market for teenagers at the moment.)
    Another thing to consider is that if you buy one lathe and upgrade in a year, if the chucks and other accessories are not compatible you are out even more expense.
    Joe

depends

For me, I wanted to buy my final table saw and my final lathe - the first time. I have this problem that ticks in the back of my mind that wonders if I was missing something or how long it will be to an upgrade. With the PM 3520, I probably won't upgrade for years and years to come and plan on adding an out-board extension should I need to do long stuff. I see your point, the 1100 would go nice in other places. The 1642 is close to the the PM 3520. I would recommend that you use one of each and then decide. If you put a couple of hundred away each month, you will be able to afford either. The anticipation would also make is so much more sweet.

Mike I was in the same boat as you a couple of months ago. I ended up buying the 1642 EVS and I love it. I have used it almost on a daily basis and the only complaint I had was a slight vibration at the 800 RPM range. A little investigative work revealed that the belt was just to tight. I loosened up the tension and now it will pass the nickel test throughout the speed range. The PM is a great lathe but with that extra 1100 bucks I was able to get a couple of Nova chucks, a Oneway bowl steady, some nice gouges, enough sandpaper to last me a while, plus a few other goodies and still had money left over for some wood.

No regrets here,
    Shane

Mike, I have turned using the Jet 1642 many, many times. It is a fine, solid machine. IMO, it is every bit the machine as the Powermatic, for a substantial savings. It gets very respectable reviews by many notable turners, including Mr. Grumbine. Unless you can unleash the funds for a Stubby, Oneway or Robust, I feel the Jet will serve you fine until you are ready to upgrade to one of the above mentioned, high end machines.

Shane raises some very good points, and he has the right idea!

Mike I agree with Shane. I really think the 1642 will last you for many years to come. The only thing I would do is spring for the 220 V if your shop is wired for it. I think if you go that way you won't look back. When I was out at Woodcraft I opted for the Nova because of size. I just could not fit the 1642 in my shop without getting rid of other tools. $1100 will buy a super nice chuck or two and some pretty nice turning tools such as the Ellsworth ProPM bowl gouge. Just my $1.298.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Mike, I picked up the Jet 1642 EVS last November and love it. Like you I struggled with the decision (for over a year) but decided I would rather have the Jet and start turning than wait for another year only to find that I didn't really need all that extra lathe.

What ever your decision - you will happy. Both are great lathes!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

My husband and I bought the 1642 EVS in October and we both love it. We upgraded from a Rikon midi, which we still use. I think, FWIW, that the 1642 would serve you well for many years and that the $1100 is not worth it considering that the difference between the 1642 and the PM 3520 is just not that significant. In the meantime, you can, as suggested by others, save for a later upgrade to a Robust, Stubby or whatever, all the while making some great turnings and maybe some money too. $1100 ain't nothin to sneeze at.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it!

Unlike the comparison with 1442 (which shouldn't even be in the picture), the 1642 is almost a PM3520 (only smaller).

I am not sure but if you just look at the features 1642 is definitely a great choice...but I believe there are other differences than what is apparent. A simple difference in bearing choice can spell the longevity of your lathe between maintenance. I don't know if this is a fact but I will be surprised if it is not. For sure, that $1,000.00 difference is not just for the 4" swing.

I do agree that if you cannot afford the PM...it is better to get the 1642 now and upgrade later. Otherwise, I would recommend that you get the PM now than regret later. Upgrades can get costly.

Good luck with your choice!!!
    Dario