Thread: My Porter Cable 890 is sick

Unhappy My Porter Cable 890 is sick

I use a Porter Cable 890 in the router table. The collet lock has broken and is forcing the locking pin against the collet. If it's not removed, the part will end up breaking off, falling into the motor and destroying it. As a first step in repairing, I need to remove the motor from the base. Can anyone tell me how to do this? I tried taking the motor out by lowering it through the base, but it only goes so far and stops. Next, I tried raising the motor free of the base - same result. I have cleaned all of the sawdust from between the two parts and the motor moves freely until it's almost out. Thanks for any suggestions.

The 890 on the PC router is a series. There are different bases. If you got the fixed base, there's a lever you need to depress. You can download a manual if you not have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Orbine View Post
    The 890 on the PC router is a series. There are different bases. If you got the fixed base, there's a lever you need to depress. You can download a manual if you not have one.
    Yup, flip the larger lever like you were adjusting the depth. Then depress the 2nd black lever and you should be able to remove the motor.

The collet lock has broken on a PC 890. I'm so not surprised. I have one of those. The collect lock, that small pin you push whilst simultaneously using a single wrench to tighten/loosen the collet - weak. Mine broke off long ago. I also didn't see any way to replace it so haven't bothered. There's provision to use two wrenches. So that's what I do now.

Besides that one flaw the router works great.

Broke mine a while back. Took it to the repair shop since it was still under warranty. My fault for not having it totally in place. It is still best to use the two wrench system. The pin should be designed to be a larger diameter for strength. All in all, a very good router. I will mention something that many are probably aware of. My 890 is one of the first versions that came out. At work we have a new version of the same. I borrowed our work model for a project so that I would have both bases in action. Found out quickly that the new model was slightly smaller for my bases. Not sure if I can even get a spare motor now to fit my bases. Greg