Thread: Cherry - blotchy colours

Cherry - blotchy colours

I pruned a branch off my cherry and turned it into some ends for a scroll for a Chinese calligraphy that a friend did.

Turned out (PI) great but the red is splotchy on it. Do I have to just be patient or is there something I can do?

I turned it rough, stored it in some plastic bags for a bit to gradually dry and kept doing that, turning a bit and letting is slowly sweat in the plastic bag.

So I am wondering if I just have to be patient for the blotchy reddish colour to stabilize or is there something I should do?

I tried to post pics but I could not add any. Not sure why. The pics are about 2.6 mb.

The size limit on pics is 107KB, I think. The software should resize the pics automatically, but perhaps not ones that large. I suggest you use FastStone or one of the other free editing programs to resize pics you need to post.

On the blotches, welcome to the world of cherry. Some of it is just blotchy. It is notorious for that.

Al, wood placed in a plastic bag is asking for problems because the moisture cannot escape and will incite mold, causing blotchy colors and patterns in the wood. I often "stabilize" turned projects in a brown paper bag that will allow moisture to gradually escape, and reduces the potential for cracking as well.

Thanks John and Jamie,
    They are now transferred to a paper bag. I would never have guessed that one. I would have figured that it would speed up the drying but I see what you mean now. There was a bit of mold forming sometimes.