Thread: This Was a Challenge!

This Was a Challenge!

This a cherry measures diagonally 24" across. It is about 4" deep. The outside of the bowl was undercut with a narrow nosed 5/8" bowl gouge. Platter was turned with a traditional gouge. Piece required a lot of sanding. Finish is two coats of oil and two of lacquer. Two cracks were filled with black epoxy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Member Illiana Woodturners

2. I would imagine this would be a bit of a challenge, Bob! I can envision this as the center piece at a party table.......center filled with chips and on the wings small containers of different dips...................this is a cool piece, and not something one sees every day from a crotch piece.

I think I have to give you 2 thumbs up on this!!!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I'll bet it was!!! Beautiful piece, Bob.

Thats just ..... wow. Very impressive and nicely done!

Very nice.

Well done. Love the grain. Imagine it was indeed difficult but the end result looks worth it! Cheers

Well done. Looks like a lot of hand sanding and not just "sanding". Really something to be proud of doing.

It's definitely one to be proud of, thanks for sharing it with us.
    Len

The more I look at it, the more impressed I am. NE on the platter and bowl portions! Nicely done. I hope it is ok if I try this sometime.

quite an achievement..
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

It's a great design and you pulled it off brilliantly, Bob.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

12. Bob , you do some beautiful work, this was quite a feat with the size and all. I always look forward to seeing what you have turned.

Just a great piece. Congrats