Thread: I'm fed up with cheap Fluorescent fixtures

I'm fed up with cheap Fluorescent fixtures

Folks,
    I have had mixed luck with the T8 4ft units from the big box stores.

I am looking for a 2 or 4 bulb unit for T8 bulbs. I think solid state ballast is the norm now.

Could you recommend a brand and a place to buy them? I have commercial suppliers nearby.

Mark

I'd call some of the commercial places and ask for a recommendation. The Lithonia 8' T12 HO fixtures I put in 10 years ago weren't cheap, but sure are nice.

I bought a bunch (75+) fixtures from http://www.greenlightingwholesale.com/.
    They have American made ballasts and good tombstones.
    I don't know what more you need in a shop fixture. FWIW: they were less expensive than lesser built big box stores.

I’ve found that the bulb is the most important component. I have been running Sylvania Sun Sticks for about 8 years - 32 of them. I have replaced 1 bulb in 8 years. I used to buy the cheap 40w bulbs buy the case.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I purchased some cheapie fixtures at Menards but didn't like the all-plastic construction and the proprietary ballast. So I found some Cooper fixtures at Mills Fleet Farm and they have been decent. BUT, the ballast don't look like they're very substantial. My thought is, when the ballast do tank, I'll just replace them with high-quality parts and the rest of the fixture should be fine.

I am replacing my Fluorescent fixtures in my small shop (12x16) with porcelain light sockets and reg. light bulbs. I plan to make two runs with the lights about 3 feet apart and use task lighting on my bandsaw and over my workbench. In the last year I have bought at least 8 bulbs and I only have 2 4' fixtures and a old 6 light vanity light bar in the shop and I have not bought and light bulbs for the bar in years.

As money permits I may go to LED bulbs but for now I thank 8 100 watt bulbs should be enough to light the shop.

I am extremely happy with my T5 HO 6 bulb 54 watt fixtures - purchased from Florogrow(?) - mounted at ten feet in the end bays, and twelve feet in the center bay of my shop. They have quality Philips "Advance" electronic ballasts. They were easy to mount, fantastic light, switched in pairs. My eyesight isn't what it used to be, and these fixtures provide enough lumens to make the work pleasant. I buy the bulbs in large boxes for a significant discount, and the ability to specify the temperature and other attributes. The one attribute I sought but didn't get was an "enclosed" hood since I was concerned settling dust would eventually need to be cleaned. My electrician had a good recommendation. These units had cord and plugs, and he suggested mounting the outlets and plugging in. That way they'd be easier to service or replace. They hang via swaged 1/16th stainless cable I connected by drilling through the beams in the barn with a small diameter (5/64ths) long drill bit. Not sure you can see that in the photo. It is a clean looking install.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 07-02-2014 at 12:49 PM.

I had equal luck (bad) with the HD and Lowe's cheapo fixtures. It pains me to say this. I have had much better luck with the Lighting America brand from ...ummm... Walmart. So much better, I haven't had to replace the walmart brand yet, But I was on my second BORG fixture in some places.

Beautiful shop Bill!! Really looks nice.

the key to good florescent lighting is to get a good grade of electronic ballast. I was able to get a bunch of reclaimed 277v lights which I replaced the ballasts to Motorola which are unfortunately no longer available. I purchased the ballasts from an industrial electrical supply house. I made sure they were rated for low temperatures so there wasn't any flickering on startup and no buzzing sound. I would not use the $10 cheapies from the big box stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Flowers View Post
    I am replacing my Fluorescent fixtures in my small shop (12x16) with porcelain light sockets and reg. light bulbs. I plan to make two runs with the lights about 3 feet apart and use task lighting on my bandsaw and over my workbench. In the last year I have bought at least 8 bulbs and I only have 2 4' fixtures and a old 6 light vanity light bar in the shop and I have not bought and light bulbs for the bar in years.

As money permits I may go to LED bulbs but for now I thank 8 100 watt bulbs should be enough to light the shop.
    I am also planning on dumping my fluorescent fixtures, but I am putting in CFLs. Why regular light bulbs?

COSTCO has LED fluorescents for $40. Just bought one to try. I like it may replace all my shop lights
    Thanks
    Bruce

Trotec Speedy 300 80w, Corel X8, PhotoGrav,
    Shopbot Desktop Max with spindle, Vac, indexer, Aspire
    AirWolf 3D Printer AW3D HD2x

Thanks for the help folks. Lots of good advice here. I do not see Costco as having much of a selection at least not online.

The Walmart idea may work.

Mark

Don't care much for CFL's We have them in the house and they don't put out enough light. Had two CFLs in the shop above my bench and it would have been better to light a candle it would have put out more light.
    The bright white CFLs are hard to find in my town and the daylight are a blue tint. I just don't like them.