Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 26" wadkin jointer head rebuild test 5 will get ya 10

Jack, everytime I look at that motor I think of an atomic bomb. It is huge and looks like such a bomb. This rebuild has taken so looooong. Waiting to see the end.

For those asking for jointer - planer advice, this is the real deal. Dave

Hey Jack,

Thanks for the clarifications. I guess I didn't realize that it was also a thicknesser. Everything makes a lot more sense now. Wow! -- That motor is huge for 5hp. I swear that the 7.5hp on my 16" Northfield would fit inside that thing. Between that huge motor and the 150lb. cutter head, it's no wonder that it takes a while to spool up.

Nice job on the resto! You must get those things for nothing as nobody else would be keen to take on something that big and rusty.

Keith

the first few boards making chips.

jack
    English machines

Jack, that was extraordinary! No wonder you are a tourist attraction! Folks, this is a must see.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Jack, that was extraordinary! No wonder you are a tourist attraction! Folks, this is a must see.
    Thanks Mel. I will do one more when i get it set up better and show its with the moulding knifes making chips.
    jack
    English machines

4000 pounds of industrial art.
    Great video, thanks for posting.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    4000 pounds of industrial art.
    Great video, thanks for posting.
    thanks Bruce. making mouldings

jack
    English machines

I've worked with old timers who remembered making mouldings on jointers but your video is the only example I've seen.
    It will be a valuable reference. One thing that makes it hard for moderns to imagine that use is being used to the newer jointers with the 3/8 cut (or less) depth capacity. Even a much less sophisticated vintage jointer than yours often will remove an inch of wood in one pass and serve as a straightline saw for straightening edges.