Thread: First impressions -- Simple Hollowing System

First impressions -- Simple Hollowing System

Here's a relatively low-cost way to acquire an articulated hollowing system: http://www.harrisonspecialties.com/s...lowing-system/. I purchased the system with the laser light and hollowing tool for a total of $269. Set-up was easy, although I needed to add a wider bottom plate as the one provided was a bit too narrow for my Nova 1624-44 lathe.

The system is rock solid and well-balanced. Although my reason for purchasing was to give me a better option for hollow forms, my first occasion to use it was to hog out the inside of a 12x5 wet box elder bowl. The round carbide cutter cut quickly and smoothly with absolutely no strain on the turner. The AC laser light tracks well.

I only went about 4 inches deep on this rough-out, so a more relevant test will come when I try my hand at a deeper hollow form.

Harrison also offers other cutters for this system. It accommodates tools with 1/2 inch tangs, which may be limiting for those who prefer a more substantial tool.

Bottom-line: A well made system at a very good price point.

Larry

As a former engineer, I really like the design of this system. Very well thought out. The price point is excellent as well.

My only concern, and the thing that kept me from buying this one (I bought the Hollow Fast System instead), was the size boring bar it will accept. 1/2 inch, in my opinion, is a major limitation of the system. It hinders the system in hollowing larger items.

3/4 and full one inch boring bars are the standard.

if he were to come out with a larger model....