Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The most useful homemade tool in the shop is...

For what is it useful exactly? Versus say a small rubber dead blow? What advantage is the copper?

2. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Finn View Post
    My most used, self made, tool is.....a push stick. I make ten at a time and when I ware them out I just make ten more. That is a pretty slick hammer.
    Thanks for the nice comments guys!
    Push sticks! Yeah, I make those, I find my homemade push sticks are far more functional than anything I can buy... and that includes that monstrosity known as "The Gripper!" My favorite style is the plain wood kind that you see in the Delta Unisaw manual, although I have made some from 1/4" plexiglas that come in handy once in a while. There's a second type that I don't have one right now that I call the "Camel Toe" - it's essentially the same handle design as what's shown here, but has a vee groove on the end orientated parallel to the length instead of the notch. I use it to hold narrow work against the fence with the left hand while feeding it though with the right hand. But, are push sticks tools are do they fall into the jig category?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3. Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I couldnt stop thinking about what a slick little design Tonys deadblow hammer was. So I ended up making one this afternoon.
    As they say; "Pictures or it didn't happen!"
    I hope you find it as useful as I do... the size is a good medium that works in all kinds of places. I find all kinds of uses for it; persuading bolts through tight fitting through-holes, striking of punches and fine adjusting tight fitting parts. After some usage the end will begin to mushroom and finally split open - there's no way around that. But, they do last a long time and a big plus is that are easy to make... in fact, if you're anything like me, you probably already have all the parts on hand to put a couple together.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I couldn't resist making one as well --- using the smallest size pipe could find it came out to a total weight of 4 ounces --- needed something like this for smaller projects, so it's a good fit. Will try to post a picture this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    For what is it useful exactly? Versus say a small rubber dead blow? What advantage is the copper?
    Peter,
    I dont have a rubber deadblow in this size. Thats what made it useful/attractive to me. Otherwise, I suspect you're right and theres little advantage/difference.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”