Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I love Mythbusters, but... yikes!

I stopped watching when he raised that router bit up 3/4" and started pushing plywood in, then stood a piece up to route sideways.....veneer flying, tear out everywhere......danger Will Robinson. I am going to try planing some plywood at work today though, not sure how that will help, but who doesn't want more square cuts? If the planer will do that for me I'm in. In trouble.

2. I stopped watching too but mostly because it's boring to listen to a novice yammer about stuff he knows little about.

For some perspective here is a professional doing something much more dangerous.

This wasn't Mythbusters thats for sure.
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 07-04-2014 at 10:44 AM.

This guy is still my favorite!

I didn't know a shaper was so versatile. I wonder what other tricks and shortcuts I could learn from him?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiJGmwyYK8k

Scott in Montana

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Stafford View Post

I didn't know a shaper was so versatile. I wonder what other tricks and shortcuts I could learn from him?

Scott in Montana
    I think there is a big difference between the two. On the one hand you have what is probably a highly experienced and skilled woodworker using the tools available to him to make a living probably in a country where workplace safety regulations are much different than the US or Canada. I'll bet he has been doing this for years and while I agree it is a dangerous method he probably understands what he is doing.

On the other hand you have a clown who is working in a well equipped shop but doesn't bother to educate himself on what the proper methods are to use the tools available to him. If you look at the comments on the YouTube site you'll see a mix of experienced (some professional) woodworkers criticizing his complete lack of concern for safety and others who I suspect have no woodworking experience congratulating him on a great video and commenting that it inspires them to get into woodworking. The last thing the woodworking community needs is a bunch of newbies inspired by someone demonstrating how not to do it safely and thinking he is showing them the correct way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Stafford View Post

Scott in Montana
    Every time I watch that again I want to get his address and mail him a bandsaw, but he probably wouldn't use it. Its probably not drastically more dangerous than resawing on a TS, and I've done that begrudgingly, but it sure looks hairy. Bright side he's probably using a very soft wood for tops, like cedar for flamenco guitars. Trying to imagine how that goes with the tone wood? I know a few guys at work that are nervous about the BS, they consider it dangerous, but they regularly rip narrow stock down to maybe 1 1/4" with just hands, way closer to the blade than I'd ever get. Different strokes. I really like the shipwright above with the skill saw blade on the mini grinder. He adds a pretty strong caveat about the dangers involved and not recommending the technique to others. Good old Yankee ingenuity getting it done. The guy in the original video sort of admits on several occasions that he doesn't really know what he's doing, but at other times seems to present himself as an expert? With technique like that I'd be more inclined to hide in a dark hole and not advertise my incompetence to the world, what exactly is the point of that video? Still scratching head. Perhaps its to bust the myth that anybody with a few tools can safely make things from wood? A good working title might be "How to effectively reduce your finger population in the short run".

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Every time I watch that again I want to get his address and mail him a bandsaw, but he probably wouldn't use it. Its probably not drastically more dangerous than resawing on a TS, and I've done that begrudgingly, but it sure looks hairy. Bright side he's probably using a very soft wood for tops, like cedar for flamenco guitars. Trying to imagine how that goes with the tone wood? I know a few guys at work that are nervous about the BS, they consider it dangerous, but they regularly rip narrow stock down to maybe 1 1/4" with just hands, way closer to the blade than I'd ever get. Different strokes. I really like the shipwright above with the skill saw blade on the mini grinder. He adds a pretty strong caveat about the dangers involved and not recommending the technique to others. Good old Yankee ingenuity getting it done. The guy in the original video sort of admits on several occasions that he doesn't really know what he's doing, but at other times seems to present himself as an expert? With technique like that I'd be more inclined to hide in a dark hole and not advertise my incompetence to the world, what exactly is the point of that video? Still scratching head. Perhaps its to bust the myth that anybody with a few tools can safely make things from wood? A good working title might be "How to effectively reduce your finger population in the short run".
    He has a bandsaw. He used it to test making the notches and to fine tune them

Did he really say he was happy with it only taking 2 hours to break down the sheet of plywood, and he was happy it came out square since he was only using a table saw and not a planer?

He started to lose me when the layout app on his tablet showed grain direction 90 degrees off from the way he was ripping the ply.