Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Resawing with a Grizzly Bandsaw

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    <snip>
    African mahogany doesn't always behave very well, some has nasty interlocked grain with lots of tension trapped within, learning to read the boards and avoid the most likely to warp suspects is part of the game.
    With misbehaving wood like that, would it be wise to use a fence whose outfeed ends at the blade? That way the sawn piece can go nuts without pushing the unsawn blank away from the fence. I suspect though I don't know that the 'carbide' blades from Grizzly are from Supercut. If so they're not Carbide in the usual sense in that they don't have brazed on teeth. They do work well and seem to stay sharp quite a while. Here's Supercut's resaw blades. I'm going to try one of the woodsaver blades next time I order a band saw blade. I haven't needed a new blade in a while. Did I mention that Supercut blades last pretty well? I have no idea how their prices compare to Grizzly.

http://supercutbandsaw.com/woodsaver.html

http://supercutbandsaw.com/hawcpro.html

Opps, My error. My saw has a 1 1/2HP, not a 3. My last blade just dulled out and I didn't feel like sharpening all the teeth. I do sharpen my regular saws but this would be a bit much. No one at Grizzly told me that a 1/2" would be more appropriate. My last blade was also a 3/4" too and was listed as being appropriate in their manual. I think that my problem stemmed from moving and the bandsaw got jostled in the move. Now it is fine.

I'm coming late to the conversation, but I'll add my 2 cents. I've got the 17" griz, and I've used the timberwolfe blades They are great blades. However, once I stepped up to the laguna resawking it changed everything. They are very expensive but it's an entirely different beast. Also, call them and speak to someone in sales and mention you are a member here and you get a big discount. I had to learn a lot and had frustration in the beginning because I did not understand "drift" each blade is unique, so a set it once and forget it won't work. I suggest you go to their website and watch a great video on setting for drift. It was the best one I ever saw and their method works great. You also have to accept that some pieces of wood have a mind of their own and instead of using the high fience, I use the post method and guide the wood through to the line I mark with a scribe (usually for bookmatching). If I'm cutting veneers, I find the high fence and a well tuned blade for drift to work the best. The finish cut of the resaw king is the best I've experienced. They sharpen them as well. Best blade I've had. I've even purchased a second bandsaw and old 1934 Delta 14" i picked up for a couple hundred bucks. I keep a small blade on it for all my regular cuts and keep the 17" just for resaw because it's takes a while to get it tuned right so changing blades and doing all over is a PIA. Good luck and happy resawing!

My goal is to add the driftmaster fence to my BS that would be the ultimate!
    Last edited by Keith Hankins; 06-29-2014 at 9:58 AM. Reason: add content

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Samuels View Post
    When I push, it actually starts to move the bandsaw on the floor.
    Way too much feed pressure IMHO. If the drag is not being caused by the table not being slick and is actual cutting effort, the blade is shot; no matter how new it is, blades can be damaged. Just something to double check. Any time I feel the urge to lean into the stock in stead of simply feeding it through the operation I stop to see what is wrong. You present the material to the cutter and it cuts it. You continue to feed fresh stock forward and the cutter continues to cut. This should be pretty low effort unless a surface is rough or sticky. Leaning/forcing into a material feed operation is a recipe for an accident. The exception would be a very heavy piece of stock where sheer mass requires greater effort to move it, cutting or not. Again, just my approach to things.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Samuels View Post
    This is the blade that I used: (T25045 Timber Wolf 105" x 3/4" x .025" x 2/3 TPI Pos Claw Bandsaw Blade from Grizzly). Here is a continuation of the story. I was trying just to get (2) 15/16" boards from the 8/4 board. All 4 sides were rough. Probably should have jointed at least the bottom and maybe the side against the fence.
    I have several of those blades as they are my usual resawing choice. I do run a 2HP, 17" saw and routinely resaw 8" to 10" walnut, maple, mahogany, pecan (murderously hard stuff), ash, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    That's a good blade, bit too much for a 14" saw IMO, just because it fits doesn't mean the spring can give it enough tension, I used the 1/2" version when I had a 14" saw, but probably not the deciding factor in this equation. Rough boards against a fence for resaw is a no go, probably the source of much of your problem.
    I will use the bandsaw to rip material that is not face/edge milled when necessary but, I would never use a fence in this operation. The irregular reference surface tying to ride the nice flat fence causes difficulty. I always joint the face and one edge before resawing stock because I want a reliable reference surface for accuracy and agree with Peter's comments.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-29-2014 at 10:23 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

All the 14" CI machine manuals say you can use a 3/4" wide blade, but in reality it cannot be tensioned adequately so it's worthless. As I said before, even the 1/2" cannot be tensioned close to what the blade manufacturers recommend, but you can get 10 - 12K psi on it which is adequate if you don't over feed it. I know this because I measured it.

IMG_7178.JPG

Of course, if the blade is dull nothing works.

John

Accommodating blade drift may work, after a fashion, but I know you would be happier if you spent the time to adjust your machine and blade so there was no drift. It's not rocket science and everything just goes a lot more smoothly when the blade cuts straight. Then you could use a simple tall fence to resaw and cut veneer so straight and uniform you will be amazed.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    With misbehaving wood like that, would it be wise to use a fence whose outfeed ends at the blade? That way the sawn piece can go nuts without pushing the unsawn blank away from the fence.

Yes, and also a fence whose infeed begins at the blade too. like this http://www.woodworking.com/ww/Articl...ence-7228.aspx. I've made them using a piece of dowel rod, my 14" saw came with such a thing that quickly attached to the fence....course it wasn't the "ultimate" 14" BS, just the best. Point is there are lots of ways to make such a fence, important feature is they touch the board just at the teeth of the blade, so the wood can move as it will. Not something I'd use for veneer, but excellent for splitting thick stock.

On the 3/4" blade, it may "fit" in the guides but the saw just can't crank it up tight enough to use it effectively. I like using a 3/4" blade on my 20" saw, but thats a whole lot more rigid frame. 1/2" seems to be the sweet spot on 14" saws.

On the adjust for drift vrs tune the entire saw to each blade method....I'm a drift man, but the saw is set up generally to be pretty close for the average blade I run. Suppose you throw on a 1" 2/3T resaw, align it properly on the wheels, tighten it up....it cuts a certain way. So now you adjust this to that, the table to blade, fence to table , moon to stars. Then change blades to a 5/16" 8T for cutting out plywood templates. And start over...table, fence, etc. With each new blade and tension requirement and wheel placement comes a new tuning. So how is that better?

A lot of the cast-iron framed 14-inch saws are made in China and are very nearly identical regardless of branding. I have a Rigid that will accept Grizzly and Shop Fox accessories for instance. The differences lie chiefly in the motors and general fit, finish and pre-shipping detail work. I've resawn six-foot Honduran mahogany in 6-inch widths without trouble using a 1/2-inch 3 TPI Timber Wolf blade. Wider boards can lead to the blade heating and wandering so I tend to rip to width before resawing.

Do you have any references on what band speed to use for cutting wood? Speed range for cutting soft wood or hard wood? What about cutting Oak? Do you only use bi metal or carbide tipped blade for resawing?

I don't have any references for blade speed, but do know that most 14" BS's run somewhere around 3100 fpm for wood cutting, while larger saws usually run at higher speed, say 3500 fpm. Industrial BS's run even faster. I have a multi step pulley on my BS, but leave it at about 3000 fpm for all wood cutting. I use Olson's MVP bi-metal blades for resawing. I'm not entirely happy with them; the cut is coarser than I'd like and two have broken prematurely. But they cut very well and I'll continue to use them until I find something better.

The problem with 14" wheels is you can't run a very thick blade; anything more than about 0.025" fails pretty quickly due to the stress caused by the difference in circumference between the side against the wheel and the outside. BS's with larger diameter wheels can run thicker blades with no higher bend stress. So a thin kerf blade would be a better choice on a 14" saw. You also would be able to achieve higher blade tension on a thinner blade which would help them track straight. Sounds good, but hasn't worked for me. I know the folks who make the Woodslicer blades claim they cut well, but my experience is they only work well in perfectly behaved wood, that is, wood that does not open or pinch at all as it is cut. In reality, most wood does move some as it's being cut, and I found the Woodslicer pretty useless when trying to resaw thick stock, and only marginally better cutting veneer. Too bad, because the cut quality was great. My take away is that thin kerf is nice, in theory, but in practical terms you need some kerf in order to let wood do what it wants to do because it's going to do it. Better to loose a little more in kerf losses than have the blade bind half way through a cut. So that leaves me back with blades using stock around 0.025" thick like the Olson MVP blades.

Carbide? I'm too cheap and sometimes cut wood that might have metal in it so I'd hate to trash a $150 blade. Plus, there aren't many made with 0.025" gage band stock, and none as far as I know in 1/2" width. With a cast iron 14" bandsaw a 1/2" x 0.025" blade is the largest that can be tensioned adequately. And remember, adequately means only about 12,000 psi, still far below the 18,000 psi minimum recommended by most blade manufacturers. The newer steel framed 14" bandsaws can adequately tension those 3/4" wide blades and I'd seriously think about a carbide tipped one if I owned one of them and was only cutting clear wood.

I hoped that helped some.

John

Hi Tom,

I watched the video and found it quite interesting. The only problem that I found is that he likes the deepest part of the gullet to be centered on the wheel. When I do it, the back of the blade scratches the back of the channel that runs between the 2 wheels. I have to move the blade forward to avoid the scratching. Maybe that's why going with a 3/4" blade is too wide.
    Thanks,
    Glenn

Glenn,
    I tried a 3/4 inch blade. I couldn't get it to work and now the widest I'll use is a 1/2 inch. The 555x seems to do great with that size blade. I've tried woodslicer blades, but they seem to dull rather quickly. Getting the blade gullet centered on the crown makes sense when you think about it. Like Alex said in the video, it doesn't seem like a good idea to have the teeth unsupported. I'm not going to get a larger bandsaw. I don't have the room and honestly don't use a bandsaw a great deal. It's nice when you need it though. I have a Sawstop ICS I use for most things like ripping and cross cutting. I will say, that ripping a big unruly piece of wood on a bandsaw is much easier than having it twist up on you using a table saw; even a Sawstop. I do like my 555x now that I've got the resaw issue fixed. I'm kind of embarrassed it took me some time and some ruined pieces of wood to figure out, though.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Carbide? I'm too cheap and sometimes cut wood that might have metal in it so I'd hate to trash a $150 blade. Plus, there aren't many made with 0.025" gage band stock, and none as far as I know in 1/2" width. With a cast iron 14" bandsaw a 1/2" x 0.025" blade is the largest that can be tensioned adequately. And remember, adequately means only about 12,000 psi, still far below the 18,000 psi minimum recommended by most blade manufacturers. The newer steel framed 14" bandsaws can adequately tension those 3/4" wide blades and I'd seriously think about a carbide tipped one if I owned one of them and was only cutting clear wood.

I hoped that helped some.

John
    Well, here's a well regarded carbide blade - Trimaster 1/2" .025" band 3 T.P.I. from Spectrum Supply. 'Tain't cheep though. I priced one for a Rikon 10-325 - 111" or 9' 4". $139 w/free shipping.

https://02c4de5.netsolstores.com/cart.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Well, here's a well regarded carbide blade - Trimaster 1/2" .025" band 3 T.P.I. from Spectrum Supply. 'Tain't cheep though. I priced one for a Rikon 10-325 - 111" or 9' 4". $139 w/free shipping.

https://02c4de5.netsolstores.com/cart.aspx
    Thanks for that Curt. Maybe I'll give one a try after I finish with the Olson MVP blades. One nice thing about the Olson blades is that I can resharpen them myself. It's a rather tedious process, but not very hard. I use my chainsaw grinder and the blade cuts better than new afterwards. No joke. I had a brand new 1/2" MVP blade and it just would not cut straight no matter what I did, and it seemed like the teeth were not as sharp on one side as the other. In desperation I decided to resharpen the blade. It cut perfectly straight afterwards. So it's nice to be able to resharpen it; on the other hand, it would be even nicer if I didn't have to. Another reason I'm not in love with the Olson blades. Thanks again.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Thanks for that Curt. Maybe I'll give one a try after I finish with the Olson MVP blades. One nice thing about the Olson blades is that I can resharpen them myself. It's a rather tedious process, but not very hard. I use my chainsaw grinder and the blade cuts better than new afterwards. No joke. I had a brand new 1/2" MVP blade and it just would not cut straight no matter what I did, and it seemed like the teeth were not as sharp on one side as the other. In desperation I decided to resharpen the blade. It cut perfectly straight afterwards. So it's nice to be able to resharpen it; on the other hand, it would be even nicer if I didn't have to. Another reason I'm not in love with the Olson blades. Thanks again.

John
    You're welcome. Personally I don't see me ever buying one of those. They may make sense for someone that works with really hard or abrasive wood. I think my sweet spot is like yours, Bimetal. Supercut offers bimetal as well as their 'carbide' blades so I asked them which would stay sharper longer. Their reply was that it depends on what you're cutting. I didn't pursue it beyond the one question.