Thread: Dyed Box Elder Burl Bowl Test

Dyed Box Elder Burl Bowl Test

This is one of my test bowls to see what color would work best for a set of three cored box elder burl bowls that I have ready to be dyed. I have used blue in the past and like it, but I think a variety is good and I will use this color. This is box elder burl, 5.5 inches across by 2 inches high, lacquer finish, buffed. C&C appreciated, thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Toby, looks good. You don't say what color or what type of dye you used.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Doerr View Post
    Toby, looks good. You don't say what color or what type of dye you used.
    Thanks Steve. Sorry, I used Transtint dye, 5 drops red plus 1 drop blue, mixed with water, two coats.
    Last edited by Toby Bouder; 06-29-2014 at 2:11 PM. Reason: 2 coats

Very necely done bowl and the color is stunning. I have been reluctant to dye much but seeing all these spectacular dyed pieces, guess I gotta do it. I'm just concerned I will ruin an otherwise perfectly good piece.

Quote Originally Posted by David Reed View Post
    Very necely done bowl and the color is stunning. I have been reluctant to dye much but seeing all these spectacular dyed pieces, guess I gotta do it. I'm just concerned I will ruin an otherwise perfectly good piece.
    Sand the outside to disired grit, then apply dye. If you don't like it turn it or sand it away. Doesn't have to be the final shape, you're just looking at how it dyes.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

David, dyeing is not as scary as it sounds. Give it a try, just don't judge the final look by what the wood looks like after it is dyed. You'll need to put a finish on it to see what it will really look like. Spray lacquer is usually the finish of choice for dyed wood. You can either test it out on a piece of scrape wood from the piece your turning or just do like Bob said.