Thread: Rockwell/Delta Bandsaw Refurbish

Rockwell/Delta Bandsaw Refurbish

Hello all,
    I came across one of those rare gems on craigslist last week. A Rockwell delta 28-200 Band saw for 60 bucks. I have taken it completely apart and I cant find any parts that need to be replaced. I am totally de rustifying... prime and paint, maybe some new tires,although the old ones seem fine. And the motor needs re-wireing. This is my first re-furb so if anyone has any advice or comments, ..fire away.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Measure twice and cut once and swear three times

Rockwell/Delta Bandsaw Refurb (more pics)

Late 60's/early 70's?

IMG_0450.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Bohn View Post
    Late 60's/early 70's?
    That's all I could find...

I'm certainly no Jedi Master on this sort of thing (and others here likely are...) but comparing the general appearance to that of some other older Rockwell tools I "inherited" from my late FIL, I'm guessing maybe more like 50's vintage. Just my 2 cents worth. Worthy effort on your part in any case - congrats!

Regards, Marty
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Prudhomme View Post
    Hello all,
    .Rockwell delta 28-200 Band saw for 60 bucks. I have taken it completely apart and I cant find any parts that need to be replaced. new tires,although the old ones seem fine. And the motor if anyone has any advice or comments, ..fire away.
    Marc
    So If you do not want to take it apart twice, replace all of the ball bearings now with some good made in the USA bearings. There is a lot of good info here on the creek and on OWWM. This is a great band saw and there is still new and old part available for it. Tom

Replace the guides with cool blocks, get new urethane tires , new tension spring( if in case the old spring looks overused) and I suggest you look other restoration threads. You can search older threads in the site. Good luck!

Cool Blocks. Pffstt!
    Make some out of hard wood and soak them in mineral oil.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Really? I'm just using the steel that I think is original.

Have you recommendations for the species of hardwood?
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Can you explain to me the reason for not using the steel blocks?

The only real negative to steel guideblocks is if you dont adjust the thrust bearing properly and the blade gets pushed back too far. Steel blocks will ruin the teeth instantly where wood blocks or coolblocks will not harm the blade. I personally use steel on my wood/metal bandsaw and coolblocks on my wood only saw just because I had them, not because I like them any better than wood blocks.

As for your project; Id recommend, as others above have, to put all new bearings (6 total, 8 if you do the motor, too) in it and new tires (I prefer rubber tires from woodworkers toolworks) and tension spring as well while you have it apart. You'll spend less than $100 on parts and you'll have a great working saw for a long time.

I was not going replace bearings and tires but I have decided to do it right per the sawmill creek members recommendations ...
    . Thanks guys.....