Thread: Wood Shaper- Router query

Wood Shaper- Router query

I am planning on making some doors and cabinets. I would like to know what would be the best solution to be able to use 1/2" shank router bits, as well as 3/4" bore cutters on the same machine. What kind of a shaft design would accept both types of cutters?
    Thanks

Router bits and shaper cutters work at very different speeds. I wonder if a variable-speed router trying to swing a shaper cutter could end up with bearing problems due to the much heavier shaper cutter.
    David

Not only bearing problems, but catastrophic dynamic (rotational) balance problems.

Quote Originally Posted by CONRAD FERNANDES View Post
    I am planning on making some doors and cabinets. I would like to know what would be the best solution to be able to use 1/2" shank router bits, as well as 3/4" bore cutters on the same machine. What kind of a shaft design would accept both types of cutters?
    Thanks
    Some shapers can use a collet to hold a router bit.

Shapers normally top out at approximately 10,000 RPM, which is OK for large router bits.

Many of the smaller shapers will also have the ability to use 3/4" bore cutters.

Personally, I don't own a router, I've always owned a shaper...........Rod.

IMO it is so easy to make a serviceable router table inexpensively that there is little point to run router bits in a shaper. Other than Felder, I don't know of any regularly available shapers that have a high speed spindle. I'm presently at a job where they have shapers set up with router collets and the performance is marginal at best, the tip speed is just too slow, which is frankly a bit dangerous aside from sub standard performance. So get a 3/4" shaper if that is required. Run your router bits in a router, but mixing the two makes each less than ideal.

The shapers that have the draw-bolt style spindles generally have various spindle sizes available and an optional spindle that accepts router collets for 1/2" (maybe 1/4" too) shank router bits. Like others have said above, most of these shapers top out at about 10,000 RPM which is the low end for router speeds. Look at some of the 1-3HP Grizzly and Jet shapers to get an idea of the spindle arrangement. Unless you already own the 1/2" shank panel raisers for your router, probably better off getting cutters for the shaper. Leave the router for smaller stuff and dados.

I have a medium duty 1 1/2HP Delta shaper with spindles for 1/2 and 3/4", as well as a router spindle. Works fine.

That being said, if you want a shaper, get it but pick up a router off Craigs List, and make yourself a quick router table too. You can build a very serviceable one for less than $20. If space is a problem, just build the top and put it on sawhorses when you need it, then hang it on the wall. My dad bought several Formica sink cutouts for 50 cents each and made a router table top out of one. He used it for years.

Rick P
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 06-30-2014 at 1:06 PM.

Thanks to all of you who commented above. I have an old craftsman router that takes 1/4" shank bits, but everything is tediously slow with the number of passes you need to make, to avoid burnout. Also this router cannot use raised panel cutters etc that mostly come with 1/2 inch shafts. Buying a shaper is out of question, due to the cost involved. Here in Asia there are not many used machines to choose from, so one may have to design and build a shaper from scratch.

If the question was can you spin 3/4" bore shaper cutter on a table mounted router, the general answer is no. If a shaper is out of the question perhaps a solid 3hp router with 1/2" collet is possible? That will improve your performance considerably versus the 1/4" shank only machine.