Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED conversion for old Fluorescents

LED conversion for old Fluorescents

I have a mix of older two blub T-12 and newer T-8 fixtures in my 12x20 garage shop. A few of the older T-12's are needing ballast replacements. Rather than purchasing new T-8 fixtures (or new T-12 ballasts) to replace/fix the T-12's; I am considering keeping the old T-12 fixtures and just upgrading the blubs to the new LED tubes, which I understand are pretty easy to convert the fixture by removing the ballast during the re-wiring process. Most all my current lights are using the 6500 natural daylight blubs.

Has anyone gone this route? Are you happy with the LED light color and brightness compared to the old fluorescents. I'm OK with the higher upfront cost of the LEDs. Any brands you'd recommend?
    Last edited by Michael Sapper; 06-30-2014 at 10:46 PM.

I'm thinking of going the same way with my shop lightning. Like you I would like to find out a bit more about it first. In the interim I'm going to convert a single 2' fixture and see what that looks like (led tube is about $30 w S/H).
    In my shopping around the prices seem to be consistent at around 44-50 dollars per "tube".

At my work they replaced the fluorescents with LED tubes, but did install all new fixtures. The only thing I don't like about LED is I feel it's not as bright as florescent, they look brighter, but when I go to read some thing, I feel like it's more dim

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Yadfar View Post
    At my work they replaced the fluorescents with LED tubes, but did install all new fixtures. The only thing I don't like about LED is I feel it's not as bright as florescent, they look brighter, but when I go to read some thing, I feel like it's more dim
    I wonder how the lumens/fixture compare to the fluorescent tubes they replaced. I've had to replace a couple pretty new - 6 months or so - T8 fluorescent tubes. I suspect turning them on and off several times/day don't help. I suspect but don't know that LED 'bulbs' would last better in that usage. From what I've heard/read, fluorescents are longest lived when they're power cycled infrequently.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 07-01-2014 at 9:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I wonder how the lumens/fixture compare to the fluorescent tubes they replaced. I've had to replace a couple pretty new - 6 months or so - T8 fluorescent tubes. I suspect turning them on and off several times/day don't help. I suspect but don't know that LED 'bulbs' would last better in that usage. From what I've heard/read, fluorescents are longest lived when they're power cycled infrequently.
    I don't know how the lumens and such compare, but I know they say LED lasts longer. LED is apparently more energy efficent too; at work they tell me each fluorescent light costs 30 cents a day to run, and the new LED ones cost 10 cents a day. Another thing is they have the regular LED which has a blueish glow, and they also have ones with "white light". I feel like the "white light" gives off better light, but I have no facts to back that up. Surprisingly, the LED bulbs in my bathroom burn out quite frequently. I feel this may be due to the fact that the shower creates a lot of steam and humidity though

I replaced one fixture in my shop with LEDs. No comparison. Much brighter, easier to read the tape measure etc. Worth the extra cost.

I was at Costco, Mountain View, CA the other day, and they had twin tube 40" or so LED shop lights including the fixtures. The price seems reasonable for LED's but I don't remember the cost.

My concern with LED's is their color rendering index (CRI). I find many LED's to be rather harsh, even the lower color temperature one's. Maybe it's my not so young eyes!

If anyone has tried them out let me know

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Yamamoto View Post
    I was at Costco, Mountain View, CA the other day, and they had twin tube 40" or so LED shop lights including the fixtures. The price seems reasonable for LED's but I don't remember the cost.

My concern with LED's is their color rendering index (CRI). I find many LED's to be rather harsh, even the lower color temperature one's. Maybe it's my not so young eyes!

I was about to chime in about that, when you beat me to it.

I've been working on replacing all the incandescent bulbs in my house with LEDs over the past year. It hasn't been an easy process (lots of bulbs have been returned because they looked awful, or really weren't dimmable, or were non-functional, or a multitude of other reasons).

The biggest issue to me has been the relatively low CRI of the bulbs. Most are about 82 at best, depending on the bulb size, lumens, color temp, etc. And that really doesn't look nearly as nice as the 100 CRI halogen bulbs or normal incandescent bulbs that they are replacing. So, basically, I replace a bulb, and everyone agrees it doesn't look as nice.

There have been some exceptions. CREE seems to make the best bulbs (IMHO) and I have found some with CRIs of around 92 or so. Visually much, much better.

Now I haven't attacked my workshop yet (as a few years ago I invested heavily on multiple florescent fixtures in there), but when the opportunity presents itself, with good CRI bulbs at the proper color temp and light output, I will go there too.

Oh, and my electric bill has gone down at least $100/month so far, with hopefully more to come when I find quality replacements for my Holy Grail bulbs (MR16 50W Halogens). Nothing good in that size yet, and I've got a house full of them.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Alan,
    I agree with the comment on the Cree bulbs being decent. I'm pretty happy with the 2700K LED replacements I've made, less so with the surface-mounted 2700k lights our GC installed (although they are MUCH better than the 3k he originally chose).

Dennis,
    Thanks for the tip on the LED shop lights--I need a few more in my shop and would like to give the LEDs a shot in addition to the indirect fluorescents I have installed.
    Evan

Just out of curiosity, would the CRI be what causes me to not see things as well under LEDs?

I replaced a pair of T-12 bubs in my laundry room with these from Amazon:

XpeooŽ 4ft Brightest 24w T8 & 28w T10 LED Straight Tube Lights, 50w 70w Fluorescent Tube Replacement, Ul Smd, 6000k Daylight White
    •Wattage: 24w (Replace 50W fluorescent tube light.)
    •Emitted Color: Daylight White
    •Color Temperature:5500K-6000K
    •Beam Angle: 160 degrees
    •Luminous Flux: 90-120 Lumen Per Watt
    •CRI: >85
    •Input Voltage: 85-265V
    •Length: 48"(120cm)
    •Approvals: CE, RoHS, FCC

They were about as bright and near the same color as the fluorescent tubes they replaced. I would not want to use bulbs with a lower lumen output.

Replacement was easy but you should mark your fixture so future users know not to use fluorescent tubes in it.

These particular LEDs used a terminal at each end so shunted tombstones are not an issue. On some LED tubes the two pins on one end are the terminals and the other end is just used to hold the bulb in place.

The consistent on/off in the room had me replacing bulbs often. Hopefully, the LED will change that. These come on almost instantly and glow for a couple of seconds after power is shut off.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Yamamoto View Post

The Costco 4' LED shop lights (made by FEIT) have a CRI of >80 and a color temperature of 4500K. Not great, but I still picked up a couple to try. Will let you know what I think when I get around to installing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sapper View Post
    I have a mix of older two blub T-12 and newer T-8 fixtures in my 12x20 garage shop. A few of the older T-12's are needing ballast replacements. Rather than purchasing new T-8 fixtures (or new T-12 ballasts) to replace/fix the T-12's; I am considering keeping the old T-12 fixtures and just upgrading the blubs to the new LED tubes, which I understand are pretty easy to convert the fixture by removing the ballast during the re-wiring process. Most all my current lights are using the 6500 natural daylight blubs.

Has anyone gone this route? Are you happy with the LED light color and brightness compared to the old fluorescents. I'm OK with the higher upfront cost of the LEDs. Any brands you'd recommend?
    Has anyone gone this route? I HAVE
    Are you happy with the LED light color and brightness compared to the old fluorescents. YES
    I'm OK with the higher upfront cost of the LEDs. Any brands you'd recommend? YES, EMIUM. LOOK AT EMIUM.COM THEN PM WHAT YOU WANT. SPECIAL PRICING FOR FELLOW WOODNETTERS!!

I use the f' 2450 lumen tubes. Not frosted, but that is an option. Cheaper than Costco.
    Marc
    Kenosha, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Patton View Post
    The Costco 4' LED shop lights (made by FEIT) have a CRI of >80 and a color temperature of 4500K. Not great, but I still picked up a couple to try. Will let you know what I think when I get around to installing them.
    Just got my Costco coupon book for the month and they have a coupon on these lights, $8 dollars off for a price of I believe of $32.

I still haven't installed them, but I did fire them up last weekend for some additional light. The light is bluer than I'd like, but good brightness and no flicker. They seem pretty good.