Thread: Zinnser shellac.

Zinnser shellac.

Can anyone tell me what the solvent is in zinsser shellac? I assume alcohol, but is there anything else? The main reason I ask here rather than email zinsser, is I am wondering how strong the alcohol smell is? Do you need a mask?
    Thanks,
    Paul

All but the spray products are most ethanol with a lesser amount of iso-propanol. The stuff in spray cans also has some acetone and liquified petroleum gas, and definitely smells different. I don't wear a mask when applying the regular stuff with a brush or wiping it on. I always wear a mask with organics cartridges when spraying it or the stuff in the spray can, however.

FYI, here's a link to Zinsser's MSDS's: http://www.rustoleum.com/en/product-...ls-eye-shellac

John

Just take some BORG DNA, slop some on a rag, wipe it on a board - that is what the Zinsser smells like.

FWIW - there are some brands that use 100% ethanol. Someone here will remember the name - escapes me at the moment - but at H Depot, it is sold as "green." The point is that stuff is 100% ethanol. Some people - me included - find that eliminating the methanol makes it less offensive. But for me - not at the price differential on the shelf.

Also - the "green" label pegs my cynicism meter. Green in that it is 100% renewable in terms of growing more corn, I guess. But what has to happen to take that farmland, and get to ethanol in a can, doesn't impress me as "green". An easy label for the marketing guys to throw around, I guess.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

There is very little if any 100% ethanol around since it the physics of it makes attaining less than 5% water difficult. In addition, alcohol can't be sold without paying excise tax (just like liquor) unless it has been denatured with the addition of undrinkable substances. Methanol is a common additive, and these days with methanol being cheaper than ethanol it often makes up a high percentage of denatured alcohol, approaching 50% or so. The Klean Strip Green Denatured alcohol, which is what I assume you meant is over 90% ethanol, but has under 10% methanol, under 10% MEK, and under 5% acetic acid. You can pay the tax and buy EverClear, though some states don't allow sale of the 190 proof version which is 95% alcohol. The 151 proof version would have too much water to be a good solvent for shellac.

Zinsser appears to use isopropol alcohol as a denaturing agent in its liquid shellac. It will also slow evaporation somewhat, which for shellac is most always a good thing.