Thread: Laguna 16HD Bandsaw -CL find, good deal or not

Laguna 16HD Bandsaw -CL find, good deal or not

I've been keeping a look out for a good used bandsaw on CL to upgrade my Delta 14" model. Saw an ad for a Laguna 16HD about 100 mile N of me (Olympia, WA). Asked him about year and HP. It is 1998 and has the 3HP motor (Italian make I assume). He is asking 1750.00, which is approx 50% of a new Laguna. States that it is in "like new" condition, and includes 8 blades, 7 which are new. Also looks to have the mobility kit/wheel attached. Bottom line, is this a good deal, I see this level of bandsaw so infrequently in this area. Thanks.
    Jeff Fondaw

I live between Kentucky and Virginia where tools seem to come available on a frequent basis, so take this advice with that in mind. The Laguna 16HD offers a decent deal for $1750 but not a great deal. Think of it as a "fair" price. You could do better but do worse as well. Many people like the older model Laguna band saws. That said I have a strong preference for MiniMax and a few other brands. Many here will tell you to purchase a larger saw than a 14" so you don't end up like the folks who upgrade in small increments before finally settling on a large saw. You won't regret purchasing a larger saw but might if you purchase one that isn't large enough.

I have an LT16HD, built in 1999. It is a very good machine, and I recommend it.

$1750 does seem like a fair prices, but not a bargain. You might remember that you won't be paying shipping or sales tax, which would add $500 or so to the cost of a new one.

That's what I paid 4 or 5 years ago for a 2004 Felder 540 (21"), 12" resaw capacity, 2hp motor. Several steel blades included. The saw was in good shape, but I had to replace the guides. I bought a Lenox tri-master carbide blade, so I have never used the steel blades. My bandsaw also had the mobility kit, but I replaced it for a base with leveling casters for all direction mobility. Not a great deal, but probably fair for the San Francisco Bay Area. I primarily use the bandsaw for resawing, so I wish for more capacity and more horsepower. My saw was manufactured by ACM.

Factor in the cost of moving anything this large.

My well-priced MM20 turned into a near retail price,
    after I paid the movers and freight company.

If you can move it yourself, it's a decent buy.

I bought my 16HD 6 years ago ... also a craigslist find ... bought it to up-grade from a 14".
    It was 110 miles away.
    To get it home I removed the table, motor and wheels ... then laid it on its side in the mini-van.
    The starter cap went-out after 2 years: I quickly found-out that it was way less expensive to buy a cap locally than from Laguna.
    I had a 1" carbide-tipped blade on there that performed very-well.
    However; I was always skeptical about it not being tightened enough for optimum results.
    The only fault that evolved over the years: there is now a .008" mis-match of the table sides at the blade replacement groove.
    No doubt induced by the aging of the cast iron and needs to be re-surfaced.

Laguna bandsaw + 8 blades is an attractive package but I'm little skeptical due to the offered price. Read this old thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...age2&p=1478916

I'm sure it's a nice saw. I see older 20" and larger saws often for $1000 or less. They lack the modern amenities like Laguna's fine guides. I see these newer tricked-out steel framed band saws as being sort of like Festool. If you can afford it and it pleases you to have the newest technology, fine. They still do the same general thing old band saws do. Awhile back somebody on my local CL had a 32" or 36" Agazzanni for sale for $500. The saw took awhile to sell. It's the weight and hassle of moving that scared buyers away from the bargain, and not many of use really need that large throat capacity. Once a saw gets over 20" it starts to become a project to move. A 20" saw can generally be moved in a truck on its back.

I bought a 16" jointer from a retiring patternmaker and he showed me a 20" Davis and Wells band saw. I cut some wood on it. It was very smooth and the travel of the upper guide bar was perfect. It was a very impressive old saw, very smooth. He said it was designed by a patternmaker. I wouldn't pay what some sellers want for one but I think $800 would be fair.
    Last edited by Loren Woirhaye; 07-09-2014 at 5:25 PM.