Thread: The Last Disston Eagle

The Last Disston Eagle

I recently purchased this saw and I found that it has several nice features besides the condition. It has, what I am learning, the last Eagle that was used on a Disston medallion. According to a popular Disston website there are few Disston and Son eagles. Shortly after this was was made the Keystone symbol replaced the eagle.

The etch is a plus as well as the two nib handle. I have one other saw with two nibs and they are not common. I initially thought this might be a #77. There is no model number located on the blade. The blade has a slight taper grind from around .023 at the tooth to around .020 at the back. It does not have the #77 teeth though. Does anyone have info on taper ground hacksaws?

I had to pay a little for this jewel so no "you sucks " are needed.

Enjoy

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm no help with that particular saw but I don't have to know much to recognize its beautiful condition. If I were you, I would get in touch with Daryl Weir if you need in-depth detail about the saw and getting into properly filed condition. I know of no one more skilled.

That is a beauty - obviously well taken care of. Can yo explain what the possible purpose of the taper is? I don't see an obvious benefit to that

That is a gorgeous saw. The taper would keep it from binding, but set usually takes care of that.

I assume that. like hand saws, the taper would allow for less set and therefore a faster cut. I think that on a backsaw the advantage would be minimal. More than likely a marketing tool although I am not sure if back saws were ever marketed as such. Does anyone know of an example? 2 or 3 thou over the width of 2.5 inches is rather insignificant. I agree that a little set would take care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    That is a beauty - obviously well taken care of. Can yo explain what the possible purpose of the taper is? I don't see an obvious benefit to that
    I believe it is so the farther you sink into a cut, the less plate you have contacting wood. A taper grind takes care of the heat that would build up due to friction and keeps the saw from expanding and warping in the cut. It also reduces the set needed to keep the plate off the wood the farther you sink in, so less work in that department.

Get a 4 inch deep tenon saw and saw all the way to the back. . .you'll see what I mean with the friction.

At least that's my take on it.
    Last edited by Adam Cruea; 07-08-2014 at 7:59 AM.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Get a 4 inch deep tenon saw and saw all the way to the back. . .you'll see what I mean with the friction.

At least that's my take on it.[/QUOTE]

Good point Adam,

I think that, the deeper the saw plate and the deeper the cut, a taper blade would be show advantage. A tenon saw would be better with a taper although few were made this way.

Your theory is sound but practically the same thing could be accomplished with proper set and a good straight blade. If these plates were hand ground, and I think they were, then a few thou on a small blade would be almost made by error. I have many hand saws and the taper varies considerably between saws even of the same vintage and make/model.

Mark

I expect with some taper, you can get by with less set for the same amount of steerage. It must not have proved popular, since none of my old ones have any taper, nor have I seen it called out on any others I've looked at before.

Since I was bored today at work, I actually researched this more.

Basically, it was done to minimize set (because with a large amount of set, people theorize the sawplate will wobble and stray in the cut). It is also theorized this was done to shed extra weight and put more weight down at the toothline.

Elephino.

I like my theory. It makes the most sense to me as friction has been a well-understood concept for a while.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

I am coming to the party after everybody has gone home so . . .

people theorize
    Yeeemoney christmas . . isn't there any surviving literature from the manufacturer ?
    ? ? ?

Also, forgive me if I am not seeing straight (it was a cockeyed sort of day at work and my eyes are still crossed as a result) . . .
    but . .
    In some of the photos the teeth look like they are angling the wrong way as if for cutting on the pull stroke.
    Must be me.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 07-12-2014 at 9:36 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.