Thread: Air regulator

Blog Entries

Air regulator

I had one of my air pressure regulators in my shop fail the other day and I am looking to replace it. I mostly use this one with my brad/nail guns. I absolutely do not want to spend a lot of money (like maybe 20-30 bucks or less). I was thinking something from Harbor Freight might do the job. http://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-a...tor-68232.html
    Will I be wasting my money?
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

It should be fine. Note that it has a 100 PSI max rating.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Amazon usually has decent prices on the Ingersoll Rand stuff.
    They have the Ingersoll Rand R37121-600-VS 250 PSI MAX 1/4-Inch Regulator for $24.99
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Larry, what failed on it? They aren't difficult to rebuild if they need it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    Larry, what failed on it? They aren't difficult to rebuild if they need it.
    Well, it was leaking around the filter thing-a-ma-bob, so I tried to tighten it. That didn't work, so i decided to take it off to see if I could figure it out. In the process I broke off the thing that holds the filter in place. It is a cheap HF regulator in the first place, and I don't think its worth fixing, but it has lasted 5+ years, so I thought I would try to maybe get a little better one, but I'm not going to spend $75-$100 for one either. I managed to find a plug to replace the regulator, and I have another regulator on another port, so I can get by for a while.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Maybe it is beyond rebuilding after all.

Ebay surplus industrial ones can be a good deal but you have to watch all the specs.

Blog Entries
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 07-08-2014 at 5:52 PM.
    Larry J Browning

Most people (homeowners and small contractors) use 1/4" fittings. Looks like you'll need an adapter or two.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

If you have 1/4" and the regulator happens to be 3/8" you can just get a couple reducing bushings and be fine. Pretty simple and cheap remedy. That regulator looks fine.

Lowes typically has the 1/4 to 3/8's bushing you need where the air tools are-not where all the other such brass fittings are in the plumbing section.

I have a LOT of pneumatics in my shop from the swing out shop door that open/close lock/unlock by remote control, or how about air powered door mat that blows the sawdust off the bottom of your shoes, or blast gates for the dust collector that operate with air cylinders. The point is I have use a lot of different regulators and there is no point in going to HD and pay $29.95 for Porter Cable or anyone else. Go to Harbor Freight and get the ones with the big black knob, lately they don't come with a gauge but that is cheep or you can use the one from your old regulator. I find them in WA.
    state for about $6.00. You can buy 4 of these for less money and they will last just as long. NEVER and I repeat never buy the one with the small silver knobs they are junk.
    Mark Walden
    Walden's Woodworks

http://shop.ingersollrandproducts.co...aro-fluid.aspx

Locate the PDF Catalog so you can decipher the model numbers . .

Good Stuff - Cheap Cheap Cheap
    Support the "CREEK" . . .