Thread: Moulding, Rabbet and Plow Plane Discovery

Moulding, Rabbet and Plow Plane Discovery

Few days ago we went at our village to pick cherries, and i decided to visit my granddads sister. i asked her if she knows something about the tools her grandfather was using, and she told me there are some handplanes in the barn. Luckily they were sitting in a shelf and were in better condition like the planes i found earlier. There were also 2 jointer planes.
    _MG_5186.jpg_MG_5188.jpg_MG_5189.jpg_MG_5190.jpg
    _MG_5193.jpg
    I think this one was used for making barels
    _MG_5199.jpg
    Jointers are made from beech wood and bit heavy. The triangle on the one was probably meant for mouth reparing.

_MG_5201.jpg
    Chip breaker with strange screwes

_MG_5206.jpg

Iv cleaned only the exterior with sandpaper. I didnt wanted to touch the other parts because im have no experience of how to clean them. All the planes are made from beech exept for 2 of them, and i have no idea what type of wood is.
    IMG_1031.jpg
    IMG_1035.jpgIMG_1036.jpg
    This one i thought is pine, but i spend some time sanding it and the color is still dark.

IMG_1040.jpg
    IMG_1044.jpg
    And the plow lane it has a lighter collor, maybe its mapple.
    Anyway im glad i found all this planes, for now as collectables, but mostly that i hope will be using them one day .

For taking care of wooden planes, read this: http://www.thebestthings.com/toolfaqs.htm. Sanding the wood is not the way to go. And I would be very, very careful putting those planes anywhere near my existing tools or wood storage until you know for sure that the worms that made those holes are long gone.

I wish I had more artifacts from my family's history. Some of those look pretty far gone to be users, but either way you are lucky to have them.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Later that day i went to visit a 91 year old woodworker (joiner), ofc he is retired now, but he was still working something in his yard when i went there. He was kind enough to let me visit his old shop where he was working and show me some of his tools and explain how some of them function. Most of the tools he gave to his sons and grandsons. I didnt had enough time to stay there, all was done in a hurry. But will definitly visit him again next time.
    _MG_5177.jpg_MG_5153.jpg_MG_5156.jpg_MG_5162.jpg
    _MG_5168.jpg
    He got this plow plane from his granddad, and as he said its propably more then 100 years old. Stragely all of his tools were in great shape.
    _MG_5170.jpg
    A hand saw he bought when he was working in Australia.

_MG_5173.jpg

_MG_5180.jpg
    This was the only machine he had.
    Its was an interesting exerience for me, and i hope u will enjoy it to .
    Last edited by Mark Almeidus; 07-09-2014 at 1:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    For taking care of wooden planes, read this: http://www.thebestthings.com/toolfaqs.htm. Sanding the wood is not the way to go. And I would be very, very careful putting those planes anywhere near my existing tools or wood storage until you know for sure that the worms that made those holes are long gone.

I wish I had more artifacts from my family's history. Some of those look pretty far gone to be users, but either way you are lucky to have them.
    U got me scared a bit, the sanding was done just to remove dust and rust as gently as posible (i hope i didnt screw something). Good to know about the worms to. And how da hell i wil know if there are worms init?

You didn't screw anything up, perhaps just rounded off some sharp corners, maybe removed some signs of use, hand position, etc. Follow Lee's advice and you can't go wrong.

With regards to the worms, keep an eye on the planes. Look for new holes and any sign of fresh sawdust. There are chemical ways to kill them but I'd just keep an eye on them for a while before resorting to that. Others may disagree.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.