Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta Replacement Parts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Delta Replacement Parts

About four years ago I picked up a used Delta 33-890 12" radial arm saw for my shop (it was made in 1996). I worked on getting it dialed in right away and I never could get a perfect cut; the blade seemed to wander in the cut. I never pursued looking into every probable cause and abandoned my tuning effort soon after. Many other projects and life have taken priority since that time. A couple weeks ago I finally picked up my investigation from where I left off. It turns out that I have some play in three of the four carriage bearings. I figured I'd just order some new ones.

I contacted Delta and found out that they aren't making or selling the bearings any longer. I exhausted my online search for any that might be sitting in inventory without success and contacted several of the vendors that are still listing the part. All these vendors order their parts from Delta when an end-customer places an order. I also talked to a local industrial machine supplier who had no substitutes and no suggestions.

I'm really frustrated with by my lack of options. Right now the tool is pretty much a boat anchor. I'm open to suggestions or ideas anyone might have.

This is what the bearing looks like:

I am sure Delta did not make those bearings, they bought them from some supplier. Try to get in touch with Delta engineering and see if they can find and give you the name of their souring company. It may be an off the shelf bearing their supplier makes.

George

Sorry for your misfortune. What a sad state of affairs. Delta's reputation for abandoning their former customers may very well put them out of business. I would certainly think twice before buying anything new from them. I recently passed up making an offer on a recent model Unisaw on Craigslist for that very reason.

Does it have a part number stamped on it somewhere? If you can find the bearing number call Lynn at Accurate Bearing 800-323-6548. This is where most of the OWWM people get there bearings. If she don't have them you probably can't get them. It's too bad about the state of Delta.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    Does it have a part number stamped on it somewhere? If you can find the bearing number call Lynn at Accurate Bearing 800-323-6548. This is where most of the OWWM people get there bearings. If she don't have them you probably can't get them. It's too bad about the state of Delta.
    ^^^^Your best bet^^^^
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Get a set of micrometers so you can accurately spec the important measurements or just send it to a good bearing house for comparison and replacement. They are out there.

The thing I really love about Delta is that they will obsolete parts and then very politely invite you to jump off a cliff rather than cross reference or make any attempt to help you. "Sure, I'll be happy to get someone in our technical department.....even though it wont make a sale, it might engender some much needed good will...." That never happens. I went around with them twice, trying to get a spec on planer gear oil, all they told me was "Delta special oil" at roughly $40/oil change, forget them, I called WMH to get a spec for their planer, they gladly gave it, works fine in the DC-380! Needed bearings for a new cutter head, called them for the bearing numbers....Delta special part number............Drop dead! I wouldn't take another delta machine in my shop if it were free despite the fact that the ones I already own work great, just because they make me angry the way they behave. When they finally close out the brand, I'll have to call it a suicide.

Good luck in your search. And delta, if your listening.....DO SOMETHING>>YOU ARE DYING!

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    ^^^^Your best bet^^^^
    Sure sounds like it.

Are those a standard bearing with a grooved rim pressed on?

CPeter

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Sure sounds like it.
    Lynn is very knowledgable and a pleasure to deal with. Have the numbers on your bearing close at hand and be respectful of her time. We are small potatoes compared to the usual large orders they get.

Doug

2 of the bearings are mounted on eccentric studs, that allows adjustment to remove play in the carriage. Did you try adjusting them?

Those bearings usually don't go bad, they don't turn enough rpm's to wear out. The grease in them may dry out, but that's about it. 2 of my 3 ras's were used commercially (50's vintage), both still have the original carriage bearings.

Ed

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Labadie View Post
    2 of the bearings are mounted on eccentric studs, that allows adjustment to remove play in the carriage. Did you try adjusting them? Those bearings usually don't go bad, they don't turn enough rpm's to wear out. The grease in them may dry out, but that's about it. 2 of my 3 ras's were used commercially (50's vintage), both still have the original carriage bearings. Ed
    Same thing with my two RAS's. You are more likely to wear flat spots on the rail ( which can be rotated to a new surface ) than wear the bearings out.

The fellow with Leneave Supply got back to me. He was able to find two bearings for me. That will at least get my saw working again after my fiasco. Considering I do have one tight bearing, maybe three tight bearings will keep the carriage riding true enough.
    Last edited by Sean Nagle; 07-10-2014 at 5:23 PM.

Couple long shots, for what its worth
    1) I wonder if an auto parts store might be able to steer you to a general source for buying bearings in your area.
    2) Look online for bearing suppliers - not Delta parts suppliers. At one time, you could find people whose sole business was selling bearings.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 07-09-2014 at 10:50 PM.

Can't tell for sure from the picture but you may find it as a v-groove cam follower or cam roller. Osborne is one manufacturer, Motion Industries or Kaman may carry them.

You might try eReplacement parts. I've had good success with them on some items, not so much on others.