Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using VoIP?

Anyone using VoIP?

I get lousy cell reception at home, was wondering about VoIP. Verizon will sell me a mini cell tower to plug into my router, but it ain't cheap/free.

How does this work?

What's it cost?

Good app for Android?
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

I am not doing VOIP on my iPhone, but I do have Ooma as a land line replacement for about $4.50 a month and it works great. We use VOIP at work for all of our phones with no issues.

I used Ooma for my land line with no problem at all while I was on cable. When I switched to UVerse, the quality of the TV reception fell and the land line drops calls periodically. It was such a hassle to install UVerse that I am reluctant to take it out, but AT&T had played with it for years before offering it in our neighborhood... I suspect that they lowered their standards rather than improving the lines in our area. With Ooma, you buy the box, then only pay the taxes for 911 and other services - in my case $3.82 per month.

Another way to try VOIP if you are willing to talk from your computer is Skype. Free between skype terminals anywhere in the world. Roughly 2 cents per minute to any landline in the world or any cell phone in the USA.

We have been using Ooma for our landline (via internet) for 4 years now. Not a single problem. Basic service is about $4 a month and for an extra $10 per month you can get a deluxe package with many options. We particularly like the "personal blacklist" option where you can enter the number you no longer want calls from( telemarketers!) and then choose the recording they will receive . ( we like the computer tone to instruct automated dialers the phone is no longer in service, along with a voice message saying the same)

Oh, by the way, Ours has been through Uverse and we have had no problems. I guess we are in an area where Uverse functions very well.

What you are considering is a MicroCell, originally called a Micro Cell Site. That was frequently abbreviated into MicroSite, which was confusing because that also meant a very small website. Best to think of it as having nothing to do with VOIP and being just you own private cell tower.

Your cell phone provider sells you a small cell tower that has a very limited range and will only allow certain cell phones to connect. They connect just as they do to a regular cell phone tower. You might confuse it with VOIP because it does plug in to your router. VOIP can mean a zillion different things and, of course, it does use IP to connect to the cell phone provider.

OK so, what does Ooma plug in to?

I suspect the OP might be thinking about using an Android app to do VOIP on his Android phone. That would work fine if the OP has good WIFI in the house. The app would probably have its own phone number so that really doesn't help unless folks know to try both numbers, or the OP uses Google Voice or similar for the main number.

My wife recently got a phone from Republic Wireless and after some testing, I ordered one last night. It use VOIP if there's an available wireless connection and switches automatically to cell if there's no internet access. It seems to work quite well. She's used it during a driving trip to Colorado and up to NW Minnesota and it did just fine. It is a seamless transition from one to the other and you have the same phone number for both. She's using their $10/month plan which includes unlimited talk and text and unlimited data on internet. They have a couple of other plans that include data via the cell network, too.

Yup! I've got great WiFi at home. Google voice is what I was thinking, but it is getting poor reviews currently.

Wow that's a good deal. My term is coming up might take a look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Judson Green View Post
    OK so, what does Ooma plug in to?
    It plugs into an Internet connection. OOMA is a VOIP replacement for a land line. It really has nothing to do with a cell phone except that OOMA does have a iPhone app that is separate from the OOMA land line service.

I think the OP is confusing a couple of things...

"mini cell tower" - I believe you are referring to Verizon's "network extender" which is actually a 'femtocell".
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/suppo..._extender.html

I have one. I think the cost was just over $200 a couple of years ago. It does require an internet connection and actually routes your cell phone call over the internet. Works pretty well, but I did not think they sold them anymore?

Another option that works quite well - get a free Google Voice number and use an app on your cell phone (like you mentioned) or you can buy an adapter like the OBI 100 and use it with a regular phone in your home (internet connection required)

http://www.amazon.com/OBi100-Telepho.../dp/B004LO098O

I also have the original OOMA unit which is still working great with NO monthly fees. I was paying for premium to get a second line (which we rarely used) and then I found out about the Google Voice/OBI 100 and dropped the premium. The only thing about the OBI 100 is I am not sure how long Google is going to be able to support it, but at this point it works fine

What's OBI 100? I was looking a Google voice, but like you I'm wondering how long it will be supported. The reviewers at the play store are not very happy about it saying it bady needs an update.

OK and then a regular land line phone plugs into it?

I posted the link to the OBI 100 I have a couple of posts prior to this one... Not sure if there is anything better at this point, but I think the cost is $35 for the device and NO monthly fees.

Yes, you plug it into your internet connection and there is a regular phone line out. I use one of the panasonic wireless phones with it and it works fine.

One nice thing about google voice - it will record any voice messages left and send me an email with a transcript (although some times, the transcript is really butchered) along with the recording. Can't beat the price of FREE