Thread: Who made hacksaws in Darrington, Conn?

Question Who made hacksaws in Darrington, Conn?

Rust hunt today: Cheapo nest of saws, $1, but included in that price?IMAG0141.jpg A Stanley SW No.3 24" level. At a second sale, a hacksaw was found, for $0.50IMAG0143.jpg Wood handled, from Darrington, Conn. USA.

Cheapo nest of sawsIMAG0140.jpgThe five blades look like they were NEVER used, it was just hung on a hook to rust. Not too bad for a total sale of $1.50 for all of this?

There is an etch, maybe 75% there on the hacksaw, Part of the logo is a name in a square box. I can make out the last letters as NON?? Nice wood handle on it, too.

Darrington, Conn. makers?????

I have a hacksaw that looks identical from Torrington, Ct which has "UNION HDW CO. TORRINGTON CONN USA" stamped on the spine (would the metal arm holding the blade on a hacksaw be called the spine?). Could yours possibly say Torrington instead of Darrington?

Could be. It is a bit hard to read at the moment. Photo of your etch?

I created a photobucket account and uploaded the pictures there. I cannot figure out how to upload images here so I have the link to photobucket below. I don't think you have to have an account to view the pictures from the link below.

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag206/czim42/hacksaw1_zps1a02c0f0.jpg

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9b2cccc9.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Zimmer View Post
    I created a photobucket account and uploaded the pictures there. I cannot figure out how to upload images here so I have the link to photobucket below. I don't think you have to have an account to view the pictures from the link below.

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag206/czim42/hacksaw1_zps1a02c0f0.jpg

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9b2cccc9.jpg
    Clay,

There has been a minor change in the procedure but this should help post pictures directly to SMC.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...s-of-June-2011

One of the problems with images off site is after a few years the links may not work and the images are lost to those reading an old post for the first time.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thank you for the link to that thread. There must have been a file size limit because I resized the photos and now I don't get an error message when uploading images. Hopefully these won't be too small now

hacksaw 1 (Small).JPGhacksaw 2 (Small).JPG

Cleaned and cleaned on the saw's frame. Yep Union Hardware, of Torrington, CONN, USA No numbers on it. Saw blade is very rusty, too. Gave the tension bolt an oil soak ( 3in1 oil) and was able to turn it. Seems to be able to adjust for other lengths of saw blades, too. Not sure how much more I will be cleaning on this saw...

BTW, there was a listing for this same saw on Feebay.....BIN was $1400??? Opening bid was a MERE $10......

What have i got???Besides a hacksaw, that is.

Mine has a wood ( barely finished?) handle. The etch is a more compact version. UNION is inside a box. Has MFG above the box. The address is below it. Otherwise, same saw.

I hope he gets half that...

I just pulled this out of a box of saws I bought a few months ago for the first time, so it was fresh on my mind when I read your post. I wish I knew more about this saw. It is a nice little hacksaw if you have the need for one. I actually cut down a few saw plates with it (there were 100 other saws in that box so I am slowly cleaning them up and hopefully I will get a few frankensaws out of the bunch) and it worked great... even with the rusty blade.

Blog Entries
    BTW, there was a listing for this same saw on Feebay.....BIN was $1400??? Opening bid was a MERE $10......
    The completed listings are what counts.

There are a lot of sellers who feel anything old automagically means big bucks.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)