Thread: Tool techniques used on winged objects

Tool techniques used on winged objects

Question to the forum - For those of you experienced in turning winged objects what tool techniques do you use?

I've tried the shear scrape with a gouge as in the Jimmy Clewes video and the shear scrape with a scraper as in the Al Stirt demos. I seem to do better with the push cut with a gouge.

Yes, light cuts with a very sharp tool are key here but in terms of controlling the cutting edge of the tool and keeping vibration at a minimum what is your approach please?

2. I use both techniques...........just depends on the surface......one needs to cut pushing against the grain as much as possible to avoid lifting the grain vs. laying the grain down...........depending on the surface area, one or another is not always possible.........for tight places sometime one has to use a detail gouge, scraper to get into a small area.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Mostly push cuts with a stout bowl gouge. Pull cuts can expose too much wing and necessitate a drastic design change. Power sand out the wings with the lathe stopped.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Hi John,
    I prefer to cut from the inner part toward the outer part, therefore cutting downhill using a sharp 5/8" bowl gouge with a fingernail grind. I roll the gouge along the radius that I am trying to achieve even if there is LOTS of air to be cut.
    The picture I am showing is of a Drop Spindle disk 3.5 inch square. It has been turned around on the mandrel for cutting the under side of the disk but you can see how this was done when the disk was facing out toward the tailstock.

Peter F.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another important variable is turning speed. You will get better cuts and less vibration at higher speeds. I turn winged pieces at the highest SAFE speed that is possible for the size piece.

Shearing cuts with the flat wing of a 5/8" bowl gouge is my preferred method, and drop the tool handle so that the cutting edge is touching the wood surface on a diagonal rather than flat angle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You can also look at adding support to the piece you are turning before you cut.

When turning the underside, use hot melt glue and attach a solid ring around the outside of the wings to try and support them.

When you are turning the outside, fill the ins tide space with a padded cone to help provide some support to the wings so that they do not flex as much.

You need to catch Stuart Batty and how he uses negative rake scrapers. I can't really explain it, but seeing it in action, well it works to clean up a lot of tool marks that I can't seem to get out any other way. I have tried shear scraping with my scrapers and it does a fairly good job. Same with gouges and a few other toys for shear cutting, but Stuart one ups me on this one. I do think they work better on harder woods.

robo hippy