Thread: Shaving Mug Finish

Shaving Mug Finish

I am planning a couple of sharving mugs and am trying to decide how to finish them. The wood is cherry.

I have searched the site and found a few references but nothing definitive. I am hoping to find someone who has used a shaving mug for a number of years (the more the better) who could tell me what finish has worked for them.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.
    1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

Mike, I have never done any shaving mugs, sounds like a worthwhile project. I would think maybe six or seven coats of poly could be used. you would want it to be like porcelain or plastic as much as possible. hopefully someone with actually experience will step up.

I haven't done shaving mugs, but I turn a lot of coffee mugs. I would go no higher than 220 grit. A really smooth finish would lend to the mug slipping out of your hand when wet.

As for finish, I'm partial to a salad bowl or oil finish, multiple coats. If the inside is wood instead of a liner, a poly urethane that has been thinned and multiple coats would be good.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

I've been wondering too. I'm worried about the area between the wood and the brush. It seems to me if not hung upside down it could collect water and develop some problems. To date I've used several coats of wipe on poly and epoxy to glue the brush into the handle. So far so good but I've had mine hanging upside down when not in use.

Dave Fritz

I used a CA finish around 10 years ago and it still looks like new.

6. Pretty timely question, I've just switched from foam in a can to shave soap. Been thinking of making a cup for the soap.
    Regards,

Mike
    Wood Shop Mike