Thread: Traveling with Turning Tools

Traveling with Turning Tools

I'm planning on attending a turning class this fall, and my wife insists that I'm flying there instead of driving (it seems that my ability to fall asleep any time I sit still for a few minutes has her thinking I'll do that behind the wheel on a 10-hour drive).

I need to bring my own tools for this class. Anyone with experience flying with turning tools who can share some wisdom? I know they need to be in checked baggage and I'll need some sort of tool roll to contain and protect them. Anything else I need to know?

Thanks!

D.
    I finally figured out how to deal with sawdust in my hair.

I shaved my head.

I use a tool roll and put them in my luggage. Do it all the time with no problem.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

Im a screening officer and an airport, and as long as there in your checked bag you'll be ok. Just make sure they're well wrapped. Maybe in a tool role then in some clothes.

If you have removable handles, reverse the tool in the handle to protect the edge.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

where are you going, curious.....enjoy

6. Dan, as stated above in a roll, it is going to be opened and checked, you can imagine what the x-ray looks like especially with metal handles, so keep it close to the top of your luggage and l also put a note on the top saying TSA please be careful very sharp tools. One last thing check the weight it does not take much to go over the limit with tools and that will cost you. Have a great class and trouble free flight. Michael

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    where are you going, curious.....enjoy
    I won the grand prize at my turning club's Christmas party last December--a one-week class at Arrowmont in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. I'm registered for a segmenting class with Curt Theobald in early October.

D.
    I finally figured out how to deal with sawdust in my hair.

I shaved my head.

I have a dedicated tool bag that easily fits in a carry-on bag, and use tool shafts with removeable handles. I have an assortment of plastic hose sections that slip over the cutting ends to protect the sharp edges, and don't try to carry any more tools than necessary for each demo trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Donaldson View Post
    I have a dedicated tool bag that easily fits in a carry-on bag, and use tool shafts with removeable handles. I have an assortment of plastic hose sections that slip over the cutting ends to protect the sharp edges, and don't try to carry any more tools than necessary for each demo trip.
    How are you able get a bag full of razor-sharp "weapons" in a carry-on when the rest of us can't even carry a fingernail file??

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Tippin View Post
    How are you able get a bag full of razor-sharp "weapons" in a carry-on when the rest of us can't even carry a fingernail file??
    Flys Al Qaeda Air?

MY BAD, I meant checked bag!!!!! I have been turning long enough to remember the days when we carried on our tools in a piece of PVC pipe with a piece of rope for a shoulder strap, but those days are gone for good!

Foam lined rifle/pistol cases of appropriate size for your tools make excellent tool cases.

Seems to be a variety of tool rolls out there - anybody have recommendations for a good one?

No tool roll suggestion....but in the past I have put cut off leather glove fingers on the end of the tool and run a couple of wraps of masking tape over to hold.
    Also, when I checked the luggage, I told the screener that there were sharp tools in the bag. I do not mind them looking, but I don't want them to cut themselves and get blood everywhere.
    I have also made a PVC tube to carry the tools in. I have also sent them to Arrowmont and picked them up there when I got there. Arrowmont does shipping at the end of the class for sending them back home again.
    Hugh