David Weaver and a host of other posters finally convince me that I should try a few old planes so I could at least find out if I like using them as much as my Lee Valley and hand made wooden planes. I was not looking to spend much money on an experiment so I started out cheap with a Sargent #414 that I picked up for under $10. This first plane convinced me to spend a little more to get a few classic pre WW II Stanley planes. I spent a month or so low bidding and just trying to get a feel for the market for these planes. I decided I did not want to buy into an extended restoration commitment, as I have projects to do and limited time. When I thought I had a reasonable feel for what I could get a plane in good condition for I bought a Stanley 5C, type 14, 1929-30 and a 6C Type 11, 1910-1918. I am also looking to buy a 4 or 4C manufactured within the same time frame.

I typically use lumber I buy finished on three sides. I have a small Steel City planer and a good bandsaw, which needs repairs. I do not feel I need the ability to hog off large amounts of dried wood. I do use green wood for some projects, bowls, Windsor Chairs. Which might lead me to other needs at some later date.

I am interested in which, specifically older Stanley planes, people find the most useful/favorites and why. I know what the common uses for these planes are. I am especially interested in where people find these planes superior to wooden or BU planes. I know this has been discussed in other threads, but I thought it might be fun to post pictures of favorite plane(s) with information on why they are favorites. Once I finish a little work on the classic Stanleys I have I will post pictures and reviews.