Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 220 volt issues

Test results: everything seems to be working as it should be. Only thing I've really noticed is the lack of dimming lights when turning something else on. I'm now connected to a nice, stiff power supply instead of a 3000w limit electric boat anchor. (transformers weigh a ton!)

Thanks everyone for the support!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Kev use a phone camera to take pictures of the side of the power supply. that is where my 110/220 switch is.

The North American 220 is not like Euro/Asia. NA is two 110volt legs which are out of phase. Euro Asia is one leg @220. They do not mix without the switch or transformer.
    I am using this one. it doesn't get hot, and unlike the "5000 watts" models, this one might actually be labeled correctly. $140
    I bought it because it has a thick cord.
    marty
    shenhui 900x1200 dual tubes 150 & 60

Quote Originally Posted by Martin James View Post
    You should be aware that it is a known practice by some cut-rate overseas suppliers to put extra thick insulation on undersized wire to make potential buyers think it's heavier gauge wire. Sometimes there is no marking, leaving the buyer to assume the wire is correspondingly larger, sometimes it is misleadingly labeled "heavy duty" (if anything, the adjective refers to the insulation, not the wire), and in the worst cases it may be fraudulently labeled with a heavier gauge wire number.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin James View Post
    Kev use a phone camera to take pictures of the side of the power supply. that is where my 110/220 switch is.

The North American 220 is not like Euro/Asia. NA is two 110volt legs which are out of phase. Euro Asia is one leg @220. They do not mix without the switch or transformer.
    I am using this one. it doesn't get hot, and unlike the "5000 watts" models, this one might actually be labeled correctly. $140
    marty
    If you go back and read my answer to Kev, the links show the two European methods
    of portable cord connectors. Since they do not use polarized outlets meaning the neutral can be on either terminal or the same for the "hot" wire it makes no difference how the 220 volts gets to his machine., You do not need a transformer for 220 to 220 volts two wire single phase. Transformers do not have a polarized output anyway, one secondary leg is referenced to ground only if the other is grounded. 220 volts is 220 volts when you only are using the two wire system.

Yes I know about the ground or FG as its called here, or grounding conductor green or bare wire in the US. Its not needed to run the machine, but for safety and should never have current flow.
    Last edited by Bill George; 07-16-2014 at 11:01 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

All of the cords on my laser and accessories will fit into any 110v socket in my house. The air pump and blower have simple un-polarized 2-prong american-style plugs, the laser and water chiller use the exact same power cords as any US computer.

The outlet I mentioned before that fed the xformer is attached to my breaker box, it was connected to a 15amp 110v breaker via 10" of 12ga wire.

All I did was move the black load wire from the 110 breaker to leg-1 of a 20amp 220 breaker, then moved the white neutral wire to leg-2 of the 220 breaker. Ground didn't move, obviously...

Voila, everything works. Whether it's supposed to or not.
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

I would spray paint that outlet with Red paint and mark it 220 volts AC. If someone else like your wife plugs in the vacuum cleaner and its poof. Actually the plugs and outlets should be changed over to a 20 amp 220 volt plug setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I would spray paint that outlet with Red paint and mark it 220 volts AC.
    If only I knew someone that could make me a label for that outlet...

yeah, bad joke...

And I plan on changing the outlet.
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    And I plan on changing the outlet.
    Thank you! I was biting my nails about that...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

If you want to install a 220 volt line just install a 220 socket too. You can use a standard 220v dryer socket and plug. To put 220v on to a 110v socket is just waiting for trouble not to mention illegal.

Do a Google image search for 220v dryer socket. I recall there were two types you could choose from.

Cheers
    Keith
    Universal Laser VLS6.60, Tantillus 3D printer, Electronic design
    edns Group, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Colson View Post
    If you want to install a 220 volt line just install a 220 socket too. You can use a standard 220v dryer socket and plug. To put 220v on to a 110v socket is just waiting for trouble not to mention illegal.

Do a Google image search for 220v dryer socket. I recall there were two types you could choose from.

Cheers
    Keith
    Actually he needs 3 20 amp sockets and plugs. A 30 amp dryer socket and plug is way overkill for this project, Kev seems to have a pretty good idea of what to do. A trip to the local Home Depot or Lowes will be in order.

These will work nicely
    220.jpg
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Kev, perfect solution. I have not done electrical work in the US for 15 years, so forgot about that one.
    Universal Laser VLS6.60, Tantillus 3D printer, Electronic design
    edns Group, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand

13. Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Well, neither the website or the xformer itself states the output frequency...

So I got in closer to the laser controller to see what I could see- which is hard thru all those holes in the surround!

BUT--- I did notice on the board after looking hard:
    "CAUTION- VOLTAGE CAN BE SELECTED FOR 110/120V OR 220/240V BY SWITCH ON THE BOARD--CHECK!"

However, I looked hard but I couldn't locate said switch. But, hiding from my first look (the panel door was in the way), on the far side of the controller is a sticker that says:
    "AC INPUT 200/240 VOLTS 2.0A MAX 50/60hz"

SO, since it seems I have the volts issue figured out, and the laser controller says 60hz is okay, I'll assume it's safe to power up the laser and see what happens...
    Kev,

Thanks for posting your experiences with the voltage issues. Are things still working well? I have a nearly identical situation. I received a Redsail M900 with no transformer. Machine has label on back that says 220v; chiller says 208-230v 60 hz and fan says 220v 60 hz. Redsail says laser will work on 60 hz.

My question is, I’m installing NEMA 6-20 outlets and the plugs on the different components are all different. I am planning on changing the plugs and using the neutral as a 2nd hot, just like the receptacle. Do you see any concerns in doing this?

Thanks,

Bruce Andrews
    Arkansas

Kind of ironic- back when my xformer went south I gave to our electro-whiz-kid son to check out. Just yesterday he brought it back, said the relays are screwy. Not worth fixing though...

Meanwhile, 3-1/2 years later after just connecting to US of A 220, the only issue ever was the original blower quit working about a year later. Pretty sure it had nothing to do with line freq though... The machine, chiller and the vibro-air pump, no issues.
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter