When I checked my stock of hard wood logs yesterday, every single one except the smallest (<5 inch diameter) un-split whole logs had developed major checks and become virtually useless.
Most of my logs come from a local "urban forester's" yard and include western maple, cherry, apple and madrone, together with some walnut, cherry and spalted western maple that I have collected locally. Some pieces have been there for as much as 2 years and others for as little as 3 months.

Within a day or two of acquiring the logs, I split them down the middle with a chain saw and anchor seal the ends. I only put one coat of anchor seal , but try to put it on as generously as I can. The anchor seal is the old original variety. Of course the logs I get from the forester could have been in his yard for a while and drying out a bit before I pick them up. I generally avoid any that have begun to check.
I store the logs on a wooden pallet (i.e. off the ground) under a big old laurel bush where they are always in the shade. I am located on the east coast of Vancouver Island where the climate is generally cool and moist, though just now we are experiencing our annual heat wave in the high 80s low 90s with very low humidity.

I have just run out of anchor seal, but am hesitating to buy more, given the results so far.
So what can I do to improve the log survival rate?

There's got to be a wealth of experience among the Creekers, so what is considered best practice?

Regards
John