Hi, All,
I've noted a lot of the posters here build all kinds of instruments. It's very likely that to build a quality instrument, one should also know how to play it.

How many of you play professionally or semi-pro?

As for me, I play violin (both electric and acoustic), guitar (again, electric and acoustic fingerstyle), and mandolin.
I play e-violin regularly in church with an attendance of around 1500 folks. This is an all electric, rock band setting, so I get to use all of my 'gear-head' equipment on a big stage with lights and all, and play real loud....
I also have a partner with whom I play regular volunteer nursing home gigs, receptions, and occasional open mic sets at the Black Forest Acoustic Society in Colorado Springs. Styles of music range include rock, pop, bluegrass, traditional Irish and Celtic, Country/Western, traditional folk, classical, a little jazz, and freeform. A bit of everything! I don't do many paid gigs, so I consider myself a professional amateur!

As a note, I am truly inspired by all of the quality instrument builds you guys do. I have not even attempted to build an instrument yet because I am such a consummate 'wood butcher' when it comes to fine woodworking. Kudos to you all!