Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roadside wood

Roadside wood

Found this by the roadside yesterday. It was a peach colored center. Diameter 12" up to 18" Any ideas of what it is??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

A species generally labeled FOG wood(found on ground!), in this instance it is pine, not a good turning wood. The sap, wide rings and soft wood will be no fun to work.

maybee maple

It is not pine, growing up in South Ga I know pine. The picture is poor quality and I apologize for that. I know very little about Hardwoods except the oaks found in the deep south.
    I have never seen this color in the heartwood before. Peach/Salmon color. FOG is a good moniker :-)
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

From the looks of the bark and the color of the wood it sure looks like pine to me.

Sure looks like pine found around here. Except for one thing: chainsaws around here cut pine a lot straighter than that has been cut......

7. Any characteristic scent? The coloring almost looks like bradford pear...
    Regards,

Mike
    Wood Shop Mike

that's large for Bradford pear, but not unheard of, if it turns like cherry, could be-----bp is called white cherry

The bark looks a little like pecan to me. The wood color looks like bradford pear as Michael noticed. Pecan is a coarse grain wood with visible pores, pear is a fine grain wood; pores too small to see without magnification.

The 18" is the upper end of most Bradford Pear, but I have seen some that looked like that. The checks starting at the pith also often happen fast with BP. I would cut a thick pith slab (at least 15% of diameter) to remove the pith and get some turning stock and rough turn it green, and then seal. FOG is often good wood, an price better than at the store.

I agree with them that say pine. The bark and grain look like pine to me.
    Tim.
    Seven days without turning makes one weak.

I agree it can't be southern pine and pear is a good guess. It may look like some northern pines to northern folks. Here's a long shot--sycamore bark on older trees can look like that.
    Last edited by robert baccus; 07-18-2014 at 10:52 PM.

Cherry. The bark does share the small plates of white pine, but those don't grow very well in most of Georgia and Alabama. The dominant pines are the yellow kind (loblolly, slash, shortleaf, longleaf) with coarse grain and sap that makes you wish that you were cutting anything else. From my experience, be on the lookout for bark borers, radial splitting, and ring shake. If your wood doesn't have or get any of those, or even if it does, cherry makes a great turning wood.

It looks like cherry to me. I had a big one sawn several yrs ago and it looks real close with the light grey outer bark darker inner bark yellowish sap wood and a redish tint to the heart wood.

It looks nothing like any pine I've ever seen that is for sure.

There are quite a few species of pine, but the vast majority of pines in SC are southern pines and the ones in the picture look like it. Several things you can do. First off determine if it is a hard wood or a perennial. Does it have sap? There are some good books on identifying wood, but some of them will require a look at the leaves which I gather are no longer present or you would have identified the slabs. If you have access to a microscope, you can look at a sliver and determine the wood as well. Some people like turning pine, but I don't. Good luck.

Hilel
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin