Thread: cherry burl on a twisted stem

cherry burl on a twisted stem

Here's a cherry burl mounted on a twisted cherry stem, the burl is 71/2 in. wide and overall height is 9in. Finished with 2 coats of danish oil so far. I did a little carving around the stem to look kind of like a vine wrapping around it. It was too small to be a bowl or a platter so I decided to mount it on a stem and give it a little more presence.cherry burl on a twisted pedestal 049.JPGcherry burl on a twisted pedestal 052.JPGcherry burl on a twisted pedestal 053.JPGcherry burl on a twisted pedestal 054.JPGcherry burl on a twisted pedestal 058.JPG

Very nice. A unique approach for sure!

Very nice and avery different goblet. Good thing you did sneeze while turning the stem.

I like it, Jerry. Very artsy and the carving is a nice touch.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Exquisite! Nice wood, well polished and very well thought out!

Sometimes I don't get some of these artsy type pieces (even though the skill level is way beyond mine). Might be the finish making it look too unnatural or some type of disconnect between the pieces being used making it look like they don't belong together......BUT you really nailed a beauty here. Outstanding piece!