Thread: Advice requst - Buffing

Advice requst - Buffing

I have ordered a 10" soft buffing wheel to get some use out of my old Craftsman radial-arm saw that I built into my cutoff bench.

I am very inexperienced in finishing processes. Is there a particular compound that can be used for final buffing or should I just buff out the final wax? I make mostly small boxes. Any advice on how to best use a buffing wheel or what not to do would be appreciated.

I'd think 3450 RPM on a 10" buffing wheel is way too fast for most buffing applications!

plus one to fast
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Ron,
    Do a search in the turner's forum; lots of advice on buffing there.

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    plus one to fast
    +2. 3600 rpm with a 10" wheel will be over 9000 SFPM. OK for polishing stainless steel but way too fast for finishes.

Yep, too fast.

Generally, you need 3 buffs and 3 compounds. Tripoli, White Diamond and Carnuba Wax. They all should be used with different fabric wheels. Beall makes a good system. I've tried and failed going the cheap route and ended up wasting money on cheap wheels. Knowing what fabric goes with what compound helps, but there are stitched buffs, flannel, cottton, canvas all kinds. Some are for metal and should not be used on wood. Buy a "kit" for wood and a cheap slow speed grinder.

These are the basics. Searching the Turner's forum will result in information overload. Be careful with White Diamond, on some "porous" woods, (walnut) the WD gets in the pores and you'll never get it out.
    Last edited by Kyle Iwamoto; 07-16-2014 at 12:07 PM. Reason: typo

If you try to buff at that speed, you're gonna get hurt. Nuff said.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Thanks for the input. I think I'll go with the Beall system. I have a Delta lathe. Anyone need a 10" buffing wheel with a 5/8" hole?

I agree...too fast for a radial arm saw. But, save the buffing wheel and use it on your lathe. If you have a scroll chuck, just chuck up a 5/8" bolt or piece of all-thread and mount the wheel to it. I believe I would drill a hole in the end with a 60 degree center drill so you can slide the tailstock up and use a live center. That way it's supported on both ends and you can slow it down enough to use it safely.
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

Great suggestion - Thanks!