Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much weight for glue up top on torsion box

I ended up using boxes of books. I'd say there was probably 200 - 300 pounds across the 4 X 6 foot surface. I probably could have gone with even less weight, but the final product seems nearly perfectly flat.

I did my own experiment of gluing a flat piece of mdf on the edges of two other pieces of MD, using only 3 books as weight. The next day I could not pull the assemblky apart.

http://festoolownersgroup.com/member...asic-festools/

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I am curious where you found a floor flat enough to be a reference surface though. I assume you have it shimmed somehow(?). .
    I didn't use a door. I followed the method called for in most plans, of establishing a flat surface with members, then laying on of your skins on this grid for the reference plane. Instead of using 2 x 4's planed, I used ripped MDF shimmed on the floor. My link shows pictures.

The key is to use a flat surface as a reference. I usually use my Table Saw and side table. I have built one top that was too big to do this, and it took me 2 tries to get one that is flat. I had to build the base and a web sub-frame for the torsion top to sit on and build it flat. A pin nailer works fine. I have also used screws. Just need it to hold the wood in place while the glue dries. So far I've built 6 of varying sizes from 27" X 52" to 38" X 70". No problems with any of them, except that one I had to scrap and start over with. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.