Thread: Jonesing

Jonesing

I go a mile out of my way for a garage sale (unless the sign says "HUGE") , 5 miles out of the way for an estate sale or barn sale, and 10 miles for a tag sale. So today there was a tag sale that I eventually found after only driving a mile out of my way. Crap for tools but they did have this one Handyman brace in nice condition, a little rust above the chuck but a nice sharp logo and overall pretty clean, marked $5. I took it up to the desk and told them I would pay a max of 3 and they said not today. First day of the sale you see. I paid a dollar for my complete set in the original box with the instructions Milton Bradley Dragon Double Nine Dominoes and left thinking it was strange what people thought was valuable. I probably would have paid $5 for the dominoes. Now I am regretting not buying the brace and will have to stop in tomorrow after work and see if it's still there. Probably just pay the 5 and take it. My dad had a Handyman plane I am going to restore and I have some in great condition so the brace would add nicely to the set you see. No need for a cure, I am enjoying this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

It's often as much (or more) fun finding tools as finding time to use them.

While I applaud your drive to bargain,
    what value do you affix to your time
    and fuel?

Do be careful, it's a few little sales
    and you'll have a 13 gallon trash can full of
    "someday" saws...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    It's often as much (or more) fun finding tools as finding time to use them.

While I applaud your drive to bargain,
    what value do you affix to your time
    and fuel?

"someday" saws...
    My someday box of saws is a bushel crate, a nice rustic one. The saws have been sorted and discarded twice, the ones that are left are really pretty nice, just need cleaning and sharpening someday. My fuel is carefully budgeted; I have a $50 per week allowance and have to buy my fuel for my car out of that fund, whatever is left over is mine to spend, normally about $15 per week. I would much rather go garage saling than watch a football game, but to each their own. Garage saling is a summer sport too, leaves the winter to clean up tools.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    "someday" saws...
    Jim, that's talking dirty right there. If I had access I'd keep filling trash can after trash can.

I love hunting for old tools. For my wife and I, its become our vacations. But Handymans? I've decided from now on, any $2 hanyman I find, I'll pay for and tell the dealer to give it to the next poor sap that picks it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Malmberg View Post
    Jim, that's talking dirty right there. If I had access I'd keep filling trash can after trash can.
    Careful what you wish for.

Yea, I should have just picked up the brace when I was there the first time, it just grew in my mind after I left. So I was going near there yesterday to help my sister move and stopped in, they still had the brace and it was 20% off. Not as nice as I had remembered, probably couldn't sell it for a dollar but I like it. It is going to hang with my braces for now, at some point I am going to arrange a Handyman display.

Interesting that "huge" is a clear sign that the sale is trash there, as well as here.