Thread: Dust Collector motor / super dust deputy enclosure

Dust Collector motor / super dust deputy enclosure

I'm building a dust collector cart and am wanting to make an enclosure for the HF dust collector motor which is mounted to the super dust deputy. Neither of these object by themselves need airflow so I don't forsee any issues enclosing them. I'd have a port that would allow me to plug my 4" dust port into the enclosure and it should keep some of the noise levels down. The red rectangle would be the area I'm looking to enclose. Does anyone else see any issues or problems with doing so?

blue = 55gal rain barrel
    black = super dust deputy
    green left = HF dust collector motor
    right green / white = 35A cannister and bag section

dust collection cart.PNG
    Last edited by Ian Scofield; 07-27-2014 at 9:44 AM.

You motor needs air flow. You did not ask a question so not sure what you are asking??
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    You motor needs air flow. You did not ask a question so not sure what you are asking??
    Yes the motor needs airflow, but it gets it's airflow from the inlet in the super dust deputy which is where I would have the 4" port in the enclosure and run it to the dust deputy.

The outside of the motor needs air flow - the end not connected to the impeller has a fan to blow air over the motor housing.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Scofield View Post
    Yes the motor needs airflow, but it gets it's airflow from the inlet in the super dust deputy which is where I would have the 4" port in the enclosure and run it to the dust deputy.
    No, the motor does not get its air from the inlet of your DC.

In your drawing the motor would be on top of that green part anyway so it would be exposed.

Plus your inlet hose would come through the side of the black.

If you want to sound deaden it, put it in a room with plenty of cooling area for the motor (not a box), sound deaden the walls, pipe the inlet through the wall, and provide for makeup air. Put the air compressor in there too.
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 07-27-2014 at 9:27 PM.

ok maybe the original picture isn't illustrating it properly.

Here are two pictures that are somewhat illustrating what I'm attempting to do.

PIC 1:

dust collector motor mounted atop super dust deputy. This is the design I'm going with. The intake for the dust collection system is the flex hose going into the super dust deputy. This is the inlet I was talking about that would have a "port" in the enclosure like picture 2:

This guy builds somewhat of an enclosure for his system.

I'll have to run the motor and see if there is a fan that blows air across the motor to see if the enclosure would cause it to overheat.

There is a prop under the motor end cover. Just leave that open and you will be fine.