Thread: Mexican Furniture ...I found Shlamaca in Oaxaca...

Mexican Furniture ...I found Shlamaca in Oaxaca...

As I promised , here are some photos of furniture I saw on my trip....nice stuff and great wood!

For those interested ....I found Shlamaca in Oaxaca
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 07-05-2005 at 9:38 AM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

And a few more....
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 07-04-2005 at 5:47 PM.

THat looks like one hefty table.....the timberframe with massive natural edge top! For banquet use?

And is that the owner and his shop--I presume>>?

Wow. They're all nice, but the carved fretwork on the 3rd pic is really stunning. I can't even imagine the hours that must go into something like that.
    Use the fence Luke

Mark, I'm struck by the contrast between that panel and the other stuff. The panel shows sophisticated craftsmanship and design. In comparison, the other stuff strikes me as, well, rather primitive. The panel demonstrates that the skills are available, so why does the other stuff exist? Is there a price issue which supports the crude stuff?

Many of the interiors are rustic and the primative furniture works well! It is much like Nakashima and the scale and proportions are very good. The ornate carving is the Spanish Colonial influence....skills abound here...fine guitar makers...very fine carving ...skills passed down through the generations....machinery is newer in Mexico than in the US so hand tool skills are very high...I have more pics I can post. This a country of great artists Diego Rivera, David Siqueros, Orozco, Tamayo, Kahlo and others....many Europeans came here in the early nineteen hundreds....German Brewmisters...and skilled artists...Beautiful Jewlery, Murals, some of the worlds finest beers are Mexican. The ornate is not everyones taste and different artists do different things....just like here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton
    Mark, I'm struck by the contrast between that panel and the other stuff. The panel shows sophisticated craftsmanship and design. In comparison, the other stuff strikes me as, well, rather primitive. The panel demonstrates that the skills are available, so why does the other stuff exist? Is there a price issue which supports the crude stuff?

Very cool looking stuff Mark. By all means post more pictures i'd like to see more.

Here are some more pics of carvings and other shutuff

Mark.....the artistry of those carvings is unbelieveable! While stationed at Kingsville TX, we used to make regular runs into Mexico and I was always astounded at the artistry and craftsmanship of a lot of articles for sale. Question? In the 2nd photograph...the one with the bench/chair.....how was the back attached to the seat/frame? Beautiful carvings!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken,

If you are talking about the modern one....I would guess dowels and maybe a sub apron that screws to the angled back...The back does not show joinery , it is just a solid slab

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    Mark.....the artistry of those carvings is unbelieveable! While stationed at Kingsville TX, we used to make regular runs into Mexico and I was always astounded at the artistry and craftsmanship of a lot of articles for sale. Question? In the 2nd photograph...the one with the bench/chair.....how was the back attached to the seat/frame? Beautiful carvings!

Mark,

I was with you untill this

This a country of great artists Diego Rivera, David Siqueros, Orozco, Tamayo, Kahlo and others...

You could have left the last one off, and the list would have been much much better.

I love that woodworking stuff you posted.
    MARK

Mark, thanks for the pics. They remind me of when I was in Burma a.ka. Myanmar a few years ago. The guys I saw built most of their furniture out of teak - go figure. But what impressed me was the total and complete lack of the stuff we gloat all over - myself included. No FESTOOL's, no MiniMax, not even a DJ20! And yet they pump out this beautiful work! Truly amazing!

Thanks for the pics, Mark (Singer). I agree that the hand craftsmanship south of the border is often superior to our machine dominated culture.
    Mark Valsi,

What possible problem could you have with Freda Kahlo?