Thread: Power for new dust collector?

Power for new dust collector?

I want to run a 12 inch planer, 6 inch jointer, table saw (Delta Unisaw) and other shop tools in a small shop.

How many horses do I need? Does anyone have a recommendation or know of a decent collector under $500. Used is okay.

Thanks.

After doing a lot of research, I decided that Harbor Freight 2HP dust collector is a heck of a deal for the money, and got one for my birthday. You can use it as-is if you don't mind some of the really fine dust being spit back into your garage, though it's best to spend some money for a better filter bag, or even better a Wynn Environmental pleated filter conversion. That would still be under your $500 target. Or, you could have some fun with it and make a Thein baffle, a pre-separator, or do any kind of hot-rodding you want to it. Just do a search for Harbor Freight dust collector modification for some good ideas. It also doesn't hurt that 25% off coupons are easy to find for Harbor Freight - I got mine for about $160 out the door since it was on sale and they took a coupon on top of that.
    Last edited by Garth Almgren; 08-06-2014 at 12:27 AM.
    ~Garth

There's another very similar thread you should read which might help.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ust-collection

No expert here but I have a 2hp grizzly with a 1 micron canister filter. I use it for one machine at a time, it is mobile and does good job.

I concur with Garth's comments, with a few caveats. First, Harbor Freight's claimed specs, such as 1550 cfm, are wildly optimistic. I suspect they got that spec by taking the filter, collector bag, and inlet port off, and pointing the impeller inlet into a gale force wind. Impeller technology is pretty mature, and the air flow rate is related to impeller size (diameter), and larger motors are needed to spin larger impellers. The fact that the inlet port is only 4 inches gives a clue as to true performance.

Also, true 2 hp motors are really pushing the limits of most 120 volt residential circuits. HF claims 20 amps; according to NEC, a load should not be greater than 80% of the breaker limit, so technically, you'd need a 25 amp breaker (30 amp, with 10 gauge cable, in the real world). The 20 amps is probably peak, though, so you should be okay with a 20 amp circuit.

That being said, for a small shop, with short duct runs and using one tool at a time, the HF is probably the most cost effective way of getting good dust collection, and it should suit your needs. By all means, though, get a good filter (Wynn). With a porous bag filter, the dust collector is just a means for dispersing fine dust particles all over the shop- and worst of all, into your lungs.

Frankly, I'd recommend looking at CL for used DC's. I got a lightly used Jet "true" 2 hp (240 volts), with 1 micron canister, for $200. It beats the pants. performance wise, off the HF, and cost a lot less, considering it already had a good filter. Wiring a 240 volt circuit wasn't a problem in my situation. You could likely get a used Jet, Grizzly, Delta, etc, 1-1/2 hp 120volt, which have comparable performance to the HF, for a good price on CL.

I think that Garth's ideas of hot-rodding with a Thien cyclone separator is a good idea. Bear in mind that any separator will rob performance, just as long, tortuous and constricted duct runs will, so the more powerful a collector to begin with, the better net collection. Just my .02 Good luck.

For my garage shop-to-be (still under construction) I found a barely-used Jet DC-1100a 1-1/2 hp dust collector for under $200. Based on numerous postings on this forum and on an article in FWW (#232, Soup Up Your Dust Collector), I've replaced the original filter bag with a Wynn Environmental C1425 0.5 micron canister filter (just under $200) and added a separator baffle based on Phil Thien's design. I've also rewired it for 220 and put it on a dedicated breaker. For a small scale setup, the overall performance for the cost is hard to beat...except possibly with the HF 2 hp model mentioned previously, but I think a little more custom setup is required for that.

I'm using my dc with a flexible 4" hose as a mobile collector; storing it in a corner and rolling it out to my 8" jointer, 13" benchtop planer, and tablesaw when needed. I also have future plans for adding collection connections for my miter saw and a bandsaw (a future buy).
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 08-06-2014 at 2:49 PM.

Thank you for the responses so far.

I forgot to mention I am going to run ducting under a raised floor I am building (going to suck getting it all level). The garage doesn't have a slab foundation as it used to be an old mule barn and I am running 220v to it.