Thread: Dust Deputy - Shop Vac Modification

Blog Entries

Dust Deputy - Shop Vac Modification

Since adding the Dust Deputy to my system I only clean the filter about twice a year. I also empty about a teaspoon of spoil from the original Ridgid 16 gallon bin. I wanted to reduce the footprint so I built this:

Ridgid Vac Mad v1 (8).jpg . Ridgid Vac Mad v1 (12).jpg

And went from this:

Dust-Deputy-001.jpg

To this:

Ridgid Vac Mad v1 (16).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-27-2014 at 11:12 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn, that is really cool, a nice space saving design. Did you get any noise reduction from your build?
    -Brian

That is fiendishly clever!
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kincaid View Post
    Glenn, that is really cool, a nice space saving design. Did you get any noise reduction from your build?
    -Brian
    Funny you should ask. There is (what may only be a perceived) reduction in noise with the motor down at floor level. I do use the little foam diffuser that came with this vac and is available at Home Depot. This kills some of the higher frequency noise but, seems pricey for what it is. I'm sure you could make you own with some open-cell foam and some wire.

Now, here's the funny part . . . At first it was actually noisier!?! I was getting a high whistling sort of noise like when you blow across a blade a grass. Turned out a piece of the wax paper that I had used when making the gasket seat for the motor was caught against the blower and rattling away. Once removed, problem solved. Had me going for a while .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler