Thread: A Finished Pen Order

A Finished Pen Order

Just finished this custom pen order. They are a bolt-action pens with a gun metal and rose gold metal finish. The wood is oak from one of the oak trees at our high school that was destroyed by the May 22, 2011 tornado that hit Joplin. The customer lives in Stanton Island NY. He said he was going to be giving them to some active duty soldiers that he was going to be taking on a hunting trip. A fellow artist in our area, Larry Glaze, (www.antlerartoftheplains.com) gave one of my pens to this man as a gift. He liked it so much he contacted me to place an order. When we first started talking he wanted to order 6 pens. By the time he had decided on the style, he was up to 10

Larry is definitely one of those friends you like to have. Be sure and check out his website. He does some amazing stuff with antlers.
    IMG_6144.jpg

Those are nice. Looks like a CA finish? I've made several bolt-action pens and everyone loves them.

Every time I see these bolt action pens I wish that the bolt handles had been properly positioned. I seem to recall that some kit handles can be reversed to be correct, is this true? As an old shooter incorrect details like this just bug the snot out of me!
    Last edited by Jamie Donaldson; 07-28-2014 at 3:30 PM.

The bolts can be positioned so they are correct for right hand operation, the very early component sets couldn't but they changed this so they can be either way.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
    Albert Einstein

Thanks for the comments. I have not had any customers complain about the way the bolts are positioned. But, that does not mean that some of the lookers don't buy because of that issue.

Marty-- you are correct, the finish is CA. I usually use deer antler on my bullet pens instead of wood. Since most of the purchasers for these style pens are hunters, it just seems like a logical and natural match.