Thread: Biesemeyer Fence

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Biesemeyer Fence

I have a Jet cabinet saw that I bought in the 90's with the original exacta fence. My patience is wearing thin with the movement of the fence when locking it down. The Biesemeyer 78-919B fence looks promising but I can't find much info on it. There are apparently two types, 1 and 2, but I cannot find the difference. Also, the Type 1 seems to be hard to find. I have read that the biesemeyer takes a 2 inch by 3 inch tube which I have on my saw. Which type do I need and will it fit my rail and tube? Thanks for any help.

Woody Dixon

I would just note that my Bies fence moves when I lock it down too. I'm pretty good at judging the displacement by now. Maybe I've just got a bad Bies, but you might want to sample others' experiences too...

Mine works fine if you simply pull it against the plastic button sliders before locking it down. It's a SS Beis clone.

Rick P

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    I would just note that my Bies fence moves when I lock it down too. I'm pretty good at judging the displacement by now. Maybe I've just got a bad Bies, but you might want to sample others' experiences too...
    My Bies will move a little also but I found it will settle in the desired spot if I partially lock and release it a couple of times before locking fully.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

If the fence is moving replace the plastic piece where it locks to the fence. Look at ereplacement parts for a new piece. The fence should not move when it's locked so the plastic piece has probably worn down.
    Don

I'd fix yours rather than put a big chunk of money in anything else.

I may have mistaken the OP's intent, but I thought he was talking about the fence moving as it was being locked down, rather than moving once it was locked down. If I measure on the scale, then throw the locking lever on my Bies, the piece I cut will be about 1/16" short. I've learned to lock it down snug but not all the way, tap it to final position, then lock the lever. If the fence is moving once it is locked, then replacement parts are indicated.

That's right Eric, it moves when I lock it down not after. The only way to avoid this is to apply very small amounts of pressure on the cam and test for movement. I'll try your method when I get home. Thanks.
    :

I absolutely loved the Biesemeyer fence with the Unisaw. It never offered any kind of problems and had superb locking ability and prove quite accurate. Not sure if it would be worth an entire purchase of if you could salvage your current fence for far less money.

I have a 52" Bies. The guy who sold me the saw a few years back claimed it was their "commercial" model, claiming it was heavier duty. But who knows? I do know that it is absolutely rock solid and doesnt move at all after I lock it in place.I wouldnt trade it for any other fence Ive tried.

You might go to a store that sells saws and look one over yourself to see if the new ones have some "give" that mine doesnt. But I love mine.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”