Thread: New lathe selection

New lathe selection

Sometime in the next few months I will buy a new lathe, it will the first I have owned. I have pretty much decided that the lathe will either be a Nova DVR XL or a Jet 1642-2 EVS. I plan to turn bowls and see where else experience leads me.

Two questions.

1. Does anyone have a strong argument for one over the other?

2. Reading through the threads on SMC from a couple of years ago I noticed a comment that Jet normally had a sale on lathes in the fall. Does this still occur?

Thanks for all comments including ones from someone who thinks some other lathe would be a better fit.

well Nick Cook had a hand in the development of the Powermatic and the jet 1642.......that was good enough for me

Jet will put lathes on sale through their dealers for 10-15% off at different times of the year.

get on Woodcraft's mailing list - it will be in their flyer.

I have the 1642 2hp evs and like it very much. It has been a good lathe and very versatile. One of the big selling points for the Jet is that it has a sliding headstock. This makes it very easy to turn off the end of the lathe. Prior to the Jet I had a lathe that had a rotating headstock and did not like it at all. As far as sales go, Powermatic/Jet have had a sale the past couple of years around the first of March and it is typically a 15% off sale. Good luck with the decision making process.
    Steve

A couple of differences between the lathes. First, I would suggest if you are really going to get into bowls, you want the 220 volt models. The extra muscle is worth it. The Jet is all cast iron. There are some arrangements for the DVR to have a cast stand. The Jet has a solid bed, the Nova is in sections. The Jet has the sliding headstock which I way prefer to the pivoting headstock. Much easier to slide it down to the end so you can stand off the end and stand up straight while you turn than it is to pivot the headstock. Probably the biggest advantage to me is the variable speed set up. With the Jet, you twist a knob. Very fast and efficient, though you do need to remember to turn it down before starting a new bowl. With the DVR, you have a couple of set speeds, maybe 6 I think, and other than that, a very slow ramp up/ramp down push button. You also need to set the speed down when starting a new bowl (each blank has a different balance to it, so start slow, and work the speed up). I can't remember the minimum speeds, but the Jet I think goes down to 50 rpm and shuts off. I think the Nova goes down to 100 or 200, then shuts off. I prefer a slower speed for sanding out my warped bowls..... Both work well, and if you aren't going to get heavy into bowls, you can use the 110 volt models. They work fine, just slower.

robo hippy

I have both lathes, a DVR3000 with upgraded board that does all that the DVR XP does and the 1642 Jet. I have the DVR set up with 220V and the Jet is 115V (the DVR can be set for either voltage). With both the DVR and 1642-2 on sale the DVR is about $500 less, enough savings to buy the cast iron leg set which more or less gets them closer weight wise. I myself have never used the sliding head or the swivel functions of the lathes. I've had the DVR for 10 or 11 years and the Jet for several and to be honest if I had to choose between them I couldn't. Try to find someone who has each lathe and try them out would be my best advice.

Bill's advice about turning on both lathes is spot on and one way to do this is to find a woodturning club in your area and visit (join is even better). Ask members, most of us love to show our toys err, make that tools. Good luck with your choice.

I have never seen a video of someone using the swivel head option of the Nova. Is it really a viable way to turn large bowls. I am trying to make this same choice. I can get to a Jet 1642 to try it out but not a Nova
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Megow View Post
    I have never seen a video of someone using the swivel head option of the Nova. Is it really a viable way to turn large bowls. I am trying to make this same choice. I can get to a Jet 1642 to try it out but not a Nova
    I've had a DVR for about 10 or 11 years and love it. At times, I'll use the swivel head even for some smaller bowls just because it gets me away from the rails and gives me more room to work.

Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Schaffer View Post
    I've had a DVR for about 10 or 11 years and love it. At times, I'll use the swivel head even for some smaller bowls just because it gets me away from the rails and gives me more room to work. Darcy
    The sliding head on the Jet will accomplish the same thing by letting you work from the end. I have a Jet 1642 and have never used a swivel head.

Thanks to all for the helpful comments. I am going to try out each lathe if possible. Both obviously have some good features.