Thread: Which bench vises should I get?

Which bench vises should I get?

I am currently building a workbench and was trying to decide between two different styles of vices. The bench itsself is going to by made out of 2x4s that are jointed and planed on all 4 sides. i was going to drill holes in the top for bench dogs. Which vise in your opinion is better? They are both about the same price. Although the second one is easier to install and is probably a bit stronger.

Good timing. I had the same question myself, so I'll wait and see the answers.
    I can suggest you look at one or two "Wonder dogs" from Lee valley. They are all I have so far and work good. But, I do need a vice for holding work vertically.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Im open for other vises too. My only problem is want to keep them around $60 each. All the vises in the picture i showed are about that price.

vises

Where are the vises from that you have pictured? What is the source, I mean.
    Sharpening skills, the plane truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Racette
    Where are the vises from that you have pictured? What is the source, I mean.
    those are from woodcraft. I have a local woodcraft here so i wont have to pay shipping charges. Since vises are usually pretty heavy its cheaper getting them locally.

I'm pondering the same question as well. So far the Veritas Twin Vise (i know, it's >> 60$) looks like the winner, i would use it as a front vise and use my DIY "wonder dogs" in place of a tail vise. these things are easy to build yourself.
    Last edited by Timo Christ; 07-05-2005 at 1:29 PM.

I have this model Groz which I got from Woodcraft. I have found it to be a good vise and I really like the quick release mechanism that allows to to open and close the vise without having to turn the handle 50 turns.

I also have on of these Veritas hold downs from Lee Valley and it works great!

I will be ordering up the Veritas (Lee Valley) Twin Screw bench vise. I might even get two of them...one for the tail and one for the front. These are very nice vises but not too cheap....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    I will be ordering up the Veritas (Lee Valley) Twin Screw bench vise. I might even get two of them...one for the tail and one for the front. These are very nice vises but not too cheap....
    Don't order one until you come over tonight. I have twin screw still in the box that I won't be using.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

Yes, Sir!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Robert, you might just take a look at the new line of Anant bench vises that Highland Hardware is selling. Highland says that Anant bought the tooling from the remains of the Record vise people, and are now making a duplicate of the original Record bench vises. Yes, they cost more than your allowance, but on the other hand, how many are you going to buy?
    Best Regards, Ken

Pony

I have actually found this vise more than adaquate for my needs so far. Rockler carries them but I bought mine at about 65% of Rocklers price from a local borg.

Peter

I have a quick release Jet for a face vise and really like it. It is simular to the Groz picture.
    My end vise is a sentimental piece, it belonged to my wife`s Great Grandfather who was a cabinet maker. A no name, 10" vise with 16" 2X jaws.
    No quick release but it has served me well for over 20 yrs after I pulled it out of a dusty junk pile in a corner of his garage after his pasisng and sandblasted and painted up.