Thread: Bandsaw purchase help

Bandsaw purchase help

I am looking to purchase a bandsaw and would appreciate some assistance with the decision. I don't do very much resawing, and basically 6" or less has been the range in the past. It will be primarily utilized for things such as bamboo rod building tasks, making wooden fishing lures, and wooden trout net frames. Budget wise less than $1,000 would be the target. I figure a 14" will suit my needs, so was looking at the G0555LANV 14" Deluxe Bandsaw from Grizzly. However, they also have a G0513ANV 17" 2 HP Bandsaw which would still fit my budget. The extra table space, etc. could come in handy. I have very little experience with bandsaws and have never owned one. My understanding with larger bandsaws is that a foot brake is nice to have for a number of reasons (e.g., safety being one, slows the blade down in a few seconds as opposed to 30 seconds). How important is a foot brake and would you consider it a deal breaker in a purchase if the bandsaw didn't have it? Any input concerning these offerings from Grizzly? Also, any other brands to consider? Thanks.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-D...tion/G0555LANV
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-2...ition/G0513ANV

I have a foot brake on my saw and don't use it, but that's probably because I'm so used to working without one and my vfd slows the wheels pretty quickly anyway.
    If it were me, I'd buy a used 14" Delta for around $300-$400 and spend the remaining money elsewhere. I had a 14" saw for years and it would be a great saw for what you plan to do.

I have the G0513ANV and love it. At the moment I use it mostly for sawing green logs for bowl blanks and appreciate the extra capacity. Lack of a foot brake hasn't bothered me, though the blade does keep running for quite a while after you turn the power off so you have to pay attention.

I originally had the G0555 and it worked fine. But it's nice to have the larger table and greater capacity of the bigger saw. They do make an add-on riser for the G0555 that will increase it's resaw capacity, but without a bigger motor to pull the blade through thicker stock, I think that extra capacity is unlikely to be really useful.

If you could find a used Delta as Matt suggests, you'd probably be happy with it as well. Bandsaws aren't complicated machines, so there's really not a lot that can go wrong other than bearings.

G0512ANV gets my vote. The bigger table and the extra 3" of throat may be a nice to have with doing the rod building.

Though you don't resaw now, if you ever do, you would have the capability.

As far as the brake...definitely not a deal breaker. When I turn off the bandsaw 99% of the time I am done with it and am walking away to the next task. How long it takes to wind down does not bother me nor affect me. However...it is only me working in my hobby shop. Multiple people working in the shop or a production shop, the brake may provide a layer of safety, then again staying at the machine until it winds down completely could accomplish the same thing. Not that I have ever timed it, but I think my 17" Grizzly winds down in less than 60 seconds (sometimes it takes me that long to realize what I need to be doing next).

Matt makes a good point though...if you know you will never need the extra capacity, I would look to buy a used Delta and use the extra money for something else.

Bigger is better,so , go for 17" band saw.

I have a MM 16 and use the foot brake nearly every time I shut it off. Just sayin............... As for the used Delta 14", make sure it is one of those deals that you can go try the saw out before buying it because some of the used machines (Delta included) have a vibration in them that is very time consuming and irritating to get rid of. I had a 14" Delta that I don't recall ever getting completely right and helped a friend chase vibrations in a Grizz that took forever to track down. I, too, am in the "if you like a 14" saw, you will really like a 17" saw even better" school. Never mind re sawing, a band saw in general is a very handy saw to have in a shop. I rate mine up there with my TS as a must have tool.
    David