Thread: Stripper resistant coating

Stripper resistant coating

I bought a used flow over paint stripping tank and when I went to use it, it has several pinhole leaks. Does anyone have an idea of what I could coat the tank with that would resist the affects of paint stripper. I thought about using Red-Kote fuel tank liner but from what I read on the internet stripper will remove it.

What about solder?

epoxy is usually pretty chemical resistant, but steve might be on to something with the soldering idea.

Epoxy was the first thing that jumped into my mind as well, but I would test it first if possible.

http://protective.sherwin-williams.c...ison_chart.pdf

That said, if you do solder it, understand how the chemicals will affect the "solder" that you use.

I tried to use solder and I can't get it to stick. I tried sanding the metal, wire brushing it and used muratic acid and no matter how much flux I brush on the solder beads up and rolls away. I will give some epoxy a try but I think the remover will lift it.

I believe the remover I will be using doesn't contain sodium hydroxide. I do know that will ruin lead solder with repeated contact.

Drill the holes out slightly larger, stick a pan-head screw in each, THEN solder. If the solder is beading up and rolling away, you didn't get the metal hot enough first. Then grind away the excess screw shaft on the other side.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Blog Entries
    JB Weld perhaps?