Thread: using PC bushings w Bosch 1617 EVS-PK router

using PC bushings w Bosch 1617 EVS-PK router

I just bought the fixed base/plunge base pair. Initial impressions--jury still out. Plastic sub base on fixed base model was cracked, replacment recieved today. Setting depth on plunge router not nearly as easy as it could be. I find it easiest to set router on 2 spacers w same dimensions as plunge depth desired and then play w fine adjustment for fine tuning plunge depth

My question, do I need to buy 2 adapters to use my PC bushing set...............RA1100 and RA1126? Or am I better off buying Bosch bushing set for $25

Anyone using the optional edge guide RA1054...............I am thinking of ordering this from Amazon ASAP

You could always make or buy a sub-base that accepts the PC bushing set....
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Tom,

I would advise against those RA1100 and RA1126 adapters -- they're complete garbage. I recently upgraded my router table with a router lift and I had to re-rout the table for the larger plate. I had a Bosch template set in addition to the RA1100/RA1126 mounts and was planning to use that setup with my Bosch 1617 router to do the table. When I got it set up, I noticed a couple of problems. The biggest was that there is so much play in the RA1100/RA1126, that the bit could move a good 1/32" or more relative to the template. Everything just wiggled around WAY too much for me. I built a really nice router table and I didn't want to mess it up with inferior tools. Also not helping was that the Bosch templates appeared pressed as opposed to being machined, and the router base plate that came with the router wasn't even close to being smooth and round. All these things added up made for a very crude tool.

So here was my solution. I went to Woodcraft and bought a Wood River 10-pc. brass template guide set. They were machined, so the quality appeared way above my Bosch set. Secondly, I wanted a perfectly round base plate with a perfectly machined hole to snugly accept the brass template guides. You can buy the universal base plates from Woodcraft as well. In hindsight, that would have saved me a fair bit of time, but well... I just had to make my own. I bought a piece of Lexan from a local plastics place and used my Bridgeport to make a base plate out of it. It cut real nice, but it kinda made a mess in my shop. Those Lexan shavings static-stick to everything.

IMG_1238 copy.jpg

Here's the final outcome:

IMG_1239 copy.jpg

Mounted on the router, it makes template routing a breeze. Everything is tight and accurate, and once you use a centering cone to align the base plate before tightening it down, you can rotate your router any which way and nothing moves out of alignment.

IMG_1243 copy.jpg

Anyway, for about $70 you could buy the Wood River template kit and a universal base plate, and you'd have a setup that would make the Bosch setup look like junk.

As far as the RA1054, I have that as well. I think I used it once. It's kind of awkward to adjust, and isn't the best guide out there. I tend to just use my router table since I have more precision and control with it. In fact, the one time I did use it was to cut the miter slot in my router table. That was over a decade ago, and I didn't know nearly as much as I do now. I went the wrong direction, and the bit pulled the router guide away from the table edge, messing up my slot. The fix was to buy a wider, and in hindsight, nicer extruded aluminum slot, and widen the slot in the table going the right direction.

I'm not normally a Bosch-basher. I have quite a number of Bosch tools and for the most part, they've all served me well. It's just that their router accessories are a little lacking in the quality compartment. IMHO!

Keith

Blog Entries
    A Pat Warner base will accept PC bushings.

I have 2 of the 1617 routers and have the RA1100 and RA1126 adapter. I did buy my PC bushings from Eagle America, I had a set from Rockler or Woodcraft that were very tall and the ones from Eagle are all shorter. I had a set of the steel ones from Bosch and did not like them at all. With the PC bushings I can use them in my PC 7518 and my little Dewalt router.
    http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/...agle_originals

I have not had any problems with the bushings being loss, the main adapter just stays in the router all the time and the thing that the bushing goes in is with my bushings.

I also have the edge guide (RA1054) and I like it, it works very well for me, I use it a lot for cutting circles and it does a very good job of that. As an edge guide it works and for me, it is not really hard to adjust at all and it is really good at micro adjusting.

I'd ditch the standard sub base and get one from Pat Warner - exceedingly high quality, easy to install and works great with standard bushings. Pat is easy to work with also and will help you figure out exactly what you need. I've got the same Bosch router with the fixed and plunge base and am using Pat's sub bases on both quite happily.

http://patwarner.com/selecting_subbase.html or http://patwarner.com/round_subbase.html

thanks bill, do you advise buying the bosch 1100 and 1126 to use w my pc bushings or should i buy a universal base from woodcraft of rockler? Havew you used bushing set to create a recess dimensiion x and then a difffernet bushing to create an insert for that recess. Thank you. tomcoleman1@aol.com