Thread: Handicapped accessable door levers

Handicapped accessable door levers

Which is better : The straight levers for the best leverage in pulling a door open or one of those fancy curved lever handles ?

When we remodeled our doors for my paralyzed son, my wife, who is a PT, chose the curved lever handles. Her reasoning was that even someone with just a "claw type" grip (minimal fine motor skills), could operate the handle without having their hand slip off.

Best practice is to consult with the individual and their professionals on what is best for them, and use that methodology. This is a case were function outweighs cost or look.

Best.
    Last edited by Kevin Godshall; 08-01-2014 at 12:01 PM. Reason: clarification

+1 on Kevin's posting. I originally made a posting last night but must have forgotten to push a button.

My wife is wheelchair bound with weakened arms and hands. We chose the "fancy curved" and it has worked well for her.

Cost need not be a factor. We bought ours at the BORG. Each handle was in the $20+ dollar range. Schlage and KwikSet make a variety of models that are suitable, with Baldwin avaiiable at about 2X the price. We have both and I am not impressed the the Baldwin quality.

I bought the curved door handle for one door BUT found out that the handle will only fit the lock stem one way, the paddle handle are a BIG PLUS in case of fire or smoke when you compare them to a stupid door knob, try to turn a door knob when your hands are sweating and the knob are close to the door facing

Blog Entries
    I redid all of my entrance door hardware a few years ago. Schlage with the curved handles, all keyed alike. Very nice. Great coming in from the garage with both hands full as you can work them with your elbow. About $200 for the dark oiled brass at the BORG. Only issue is that the front entrance has a non-keyed grab handle and you need to lock that door with the deadbolt. No more leaving by the front door and pulling it locked behind you.
    NOW you tell me...

Like Ole, I used the curved Schlage on this house and we love them. Put some Kwiksets on a rental, and they are not near the same smooth action.

Rick P